Energy Price Cap-What Are People's Thoughts?

6 hours ago, West 77 said:

Yes it's true.  Do your own research.  

I did, and I found out that in the UK the fossil fuel sector gets more government subsidy than the renewable sector

_121513892_optimised-renewable_spending_

So I'm not sure how you can say it's subsidies for renewables that is the cause of higher bills. Looks like we are subsidising the fossil fuel companies from our energy bills as well (along with nuclear, which gets the highest GBP per KwH in subsidy).

Edited by Delbow

I've been listening to numerous debates about the forthcoming price rises on TV and radio and what never gets mentioned is the impact on our fuel bills from the privatisation of the energy companies by the Thatcher government. Perhaps it happened so long ago that people have forgotten how cheap energy was before the privatisations or are too young to remember and think these prices we've been paying are normal. We aren't just paying for our fuel but also for bloated salaries, bloated profits and pay outs to shareholders and profiteering will play a big part in our bloated fuel bills from April.

Although I hate the thought of nuclear power with its toxic waste, I don't see any solution but for a new, nationalised industry to be set up which will build nuclear power stations around the country so we can be self-sufficient at least in the production of electricity. If it sends the privatised companies out of business then good riddance to them.

Another factor which never gets mentioned is our bloated population after decades of mass immigration, which means we have to import around 35% of our energy. If we didn't have an unsustainable population, we'd wouldn't have to import so much.

1 hour ago, despritdan said:

Another factor which never gets mentioned is our bloated population after decades of mass immigration, which means we have to import around 35% of our energy. If we didn't have an unsustainable population, we'd wouldn't have to import so much.

Thank goodness you managed to squeeze in this last paragraph; for a couple of minutes there, I was fearing for your sanity

6 hours ago, Dromedary said:

If you are a pensioner living on just a state pension and council housed you dont pay rent or council tax as its means tested. At the higher rate of state pension you would receive around £9339.20 PA which is classed as a low income. When people also get additional work related pensions then that is added to the state one for claiming means tested benefits. Claiming pension credits also changes things.

Not necessarily as I have explained above.

Ok, thanks Dromedary.

6 hours ago, Dromedary said:

If you are a pensioner living on just a state pension and council housed you dont pay rent or council tax as its means tested. At the higher rate of state pension you would receive around £9339.20 PA which is classed as a low income. When people also get additional work related pensions then that is added to the state one for claiming means tested benefits. Claiming pension credits also changes things.

Not necessarily as I have explained above.

Ok, thanks Dromedary.

Edited by spilldig
Came up twice.

2 hours ago, despritdan said:

I've been listening to numerous debates about the forthcoming price rises on TV and radio and what never gets mentioned is the impact on our fuel bills from the privatisation of the energy companies by the Thatcher government. Perhaps it happened so long ago that people have forgotten how cheap energy was before the privatisations or are too young to remember and think these prices we've been paying are normal.

Germany has the highest electricity prices worldwide. In December 2020, German households were charged around 0.37 U.S. dollars per kilowatt hour plus value added tax. By comparison, in neighboring Poland, residents paid about half as much, while households in the United States were charged even less.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/263492/electricity-prices-in-selected-countries/

I am not sure how privatisation impacted energy prices, but paying the 'green levy' should not be paid by enery users, green issues should be paid for by taxation.