Energy Price Cap-What Are People's Thoughts?

5 hours ago, West 77 said:

I stated subsidies for renewable energy have caused energy bills to be higher in recent years which is a fact.  Regarding fossil fuels there is a bit of grey area regarding gas which can be classed as clean energy even though it's a fossil fuel which most likely explains why the UK government are still subsidising fossil fuels. 

But if the subsidy for non-renewables is higher than that for renewables, then they must have made energy bills go up more than the subsidies for renewables. Which makes it pointless to complain that subsidies for renewables have pushed up energy bills while not making the same complaint about fossil subsidies, especially when in times of high gas prices the structure of renewable subsidies actually helps to bring bills down

Subsidies for renewables were to get new technologies off the ground, and now that they have achieved that the cost of those new technologies continues to fall, meaning the subsidies can be reduced and likely eliminated. Extracting gas and oil is not new technology, which makes it all the more indefensible that they are still being subsidised. What are we subsidising, exactly? Shareholder profits, as far as I can tell.

Edited by Delbow

Having retired in 2019 I receive the new pension rate which is above pension credit qualification. I have a  small NHS pension and lump sum which in, hindsight, I added to my meagre savings meaning I pay full rent and council tax. In hindsight I should have ignored previous government and parental advice to save

I'm not bothered, Boris promised cheaper bills after Brexit and I believe him!

EU'LL NEVER BELIEVE IT Boris promises cheaper household gas bills if Brits back Brexit

EXCLUSIVE: The Former Mayor of London claims leaving the EU will mean ministers can slash the price of our gas bills

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1218703/boris-promises-cheaper-household-gas-bills-if-brits-back-brexit/

1 minute ago, alchresearch said:

I'm not bothered, Boris promised cheaper bills after Brexit and I believe him!

EU'LL NEVER BELIEVE IT Boris promises cheaper household gas bills if Brits back Brexit

EXCLUSIVE: The Former Mayor of London claims leaving the EU will mean ministers can slash the price of our gas bills

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1218703/boris-promises-cheaper-household-gas-bills-if-brits-back-brexit/

Another one who recycles very old 'news' without reference to the current situation - I'm beginning to doubt the sanity of some contributors.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

Investment.  A windfall tax is likely discourage investment.  The government want companies like Shell to invest in renewable energy.

This does not explain what we are subsidising fossil fuels for. Why are we doing that?

It’s all about ‘swings & roundabouts’, I used to love a stroll to my local for three pints and a chat to the lads, well circa 50% of the lads have died and three pints would cost £12.00, so I stay home and drink three cans of Old Speckled Hen, costing  £3.50. I quit smoking 12 years ago, so that’s not an issue, so I reckon that I’m quids in, there’s bog all that I can do about the energy price increases anyway.

10 hours ago, catmiss said:

Having retired in 2019 I receive the new pension rate which is above pension credit qualification. I have a  small NHS pension and lump sum which in, hindsight, I added to my meagre savings meaning I pay full rent and council tax. In hindsight I should have ignored previous government and parental advice to save

Agreed Catmiss. The carefull people get  * * * *  on again.