Kate Garraways Life Stories Itv.

pattricia

16 hours ago, Anna B said:

Looking after a disabled person is exhausting, both mentally and physically, and bloody expensive.

To get the best care quickly you have to pay through the nose for it, plus there's the cost of house adaptations etc. And it might not stop for years and years. I don't know her financial position but I don't blame her for trying to raise money where she can, while she can, to pay for it. She won't always be able to do so, so needs to think ahead.

She's probably doing it all for Derek. 

I don't admire her particularly, I sympathise with her and anyone else in her situation. They won't all be able to do what she's doing, that's the tragedy, but I know I'd do whatever I could for my man if I needed to. Give her some slack.

The bloke has covid not cancer.

She's not his wet nurse. In any event, their means are hardly limited given their respective backgrounds and as I said earlier, through their careers and influence they have access to help and support that other people would only dream of.

He's a politico has been, lobbyist, pot stirrer and author with a side line in occasional psychotherapy, providing he does it to private practice or the odd paid for accedemic commentary article of course.   

She is a lightweight journalist and TV presenter who on last reports got a salary from her ITV presenting work alone of well over half a  million-pounds, plus a few extra side lines incomes from articles, interviews or promotions.

Forgive me for not showing too much sympathy on someone who continues to milk her husband's illness and sell public outpourings of emotion to the highest bidder.

One wonders if this was say,  Boris and Carrie whether you would be showing just as much sympathy..... 

Edited by ECCOnoob

20 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

The bloke has covid not cancer.

She's not his wet nurse. In any event, their means are hardly limited given their respective backgrounds and as I said earlier, through their careers and influence they have access to help and support that other people would only dream of.

He's a politico has been, lobbyist, pot stirrer and author with a side line in occasional psychotherapy, providing he does it to private practice or the odd paid for accedemic commentary article of course.   

She is a lightweight journalist and TV presenter who on last reports got a salary from her ITV presenting work alone of well over half a  million-pounds, plus a few extra side lines incomes from articles, interviews or promotions.

Forgive me for not showing too much sympathy on someone who continues to milk her husband's illness and sell public outpourings of emotion to the highest bidder.

One wonders if this was say,  Boris and Carrie whether you would be showing just as much sympathy..... 

I would feel sympathy no matter who it was. Having to watch a loved one suffer is one of the hardest things to endure no matter who you are, especially when there is nothing you can do about it. They are all human, and share the ability to love and hurt, and feel sadness and regret. Money can definitely make it more bearable, and it's doubley unfair that most can't afford the help Kate has, but money still can't cure Derek or ease Kate's anguish.   

4 hours ago, ukdobby said:

Now a bbc about our bodies,old Derek has opened quite a few doors.

You really do dislike her dont you. I'm not saying you should like her or anything but I can't understand why she seems to have hit such a raw nerve.

Why not just avoid reading about her?

10 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

You really do dislike her dont you. I'm not saying you should like her or anything but I can't understand why she seems to have hit such a raw nerve.

Why not just avoid reading about her?

Impossible,I don't read about her,on the contrary if I see her I turn it over,watching BBC and her face popped up,unfortunately I can't stop that.

and yes I don't like her she should stay at home and look after Derek.

Edited by ukdobby

6 hours ago, ukdobby said:

Impossible,I don't read about her,on the contrary if I see her I turn it over,watching BBC and her face popped up,unfortunately I can't stop that.

and yes I don't like her she should stay at home and look after Derek.

Fair enough. 

I don't watch much TV so I'm kind of out of the loop on this .

Kate Garraway 'Caring for Derek' on ITV.   

It's a follow up to the documentary she did last year. Derek's been home nearly a year so shows how hard it is looking after a seriously disabled person and the strain it puts on people, and on Derek. Nobody watching this can think that she's in it for the money. It's an important piece of work.

Too often we don't like to look at severe disability and the problems it brings. We look away and hope it can be swept under the carpet where we can't see it. As she says, it's not pretty. But she is speaking  for all the people who find themselves in this position who are isolated and feel abandoned by society. There are 6.5 million carers in the UK. IMO It's actually a very brave thing she's doing by drawing attention to it.

Edited by Anna B

On 22/02/2022 at 21:56, Anna B said:

Kate Garraway 'Caring for Derek' on ITV.   

It's a follow up to the documentary she did last year. Derek's been home nearly a year so shows how hard it is looking after a seriously disabled person and the strain it puts on people, and on Derek. Nobody watching this can think that she's in it for the money. It's an important piece of work.

Too often we don't like to look at severe disability and the problems it brings. We look away and hope it can be swept under the carpet where we can't see it. As she says, it's not pretty. But she is speaking  for all the people who find themselves in this position who are isolated and feel abandoned by society. There are 6.5 million carers in the UK. IMO It's actually a very brave thing she's doing by drawing attention to it.

I can. Very easily.

Those 6.5 million carers don't bring a TV crew all over their home and shove cameras into the face of their infirm and dying partners causing even more obvious difficulties, complications and distress to those being cared for.   They don't get a nice big fat cheque in the post for pouring out their emotions all over the TV screen and newspapers. They don't get piles of fan mail and lazy gesturing sympathy from millions of complete strangers. They dont all have a nice well paid, well-connected easy job in the media where they can drift in and out of a few times a year when they feel like it.

If Kate Garraway wanted to raise awareness that desperately she could have easily done it with people not having the same luxury and privileges as her.  She could have highlighted properly the realities of caring which those Ordinary People (you know, the ones who you keep going on about) have to face. Or of course she could have simply kept out of a limelight focused on her obviously difficult responsibilities for her dying partner and got on with it. 

The fact that she has chosen to make it all me me me certainly does highlight she is doing it for the money.