Charging By Miles Travelled-How Long Before That Happens?

I think it is fair to say that the absence of excise duty is one of the main attractions for motorists when deciding to buy an electric car, and they don't come cheap. Aside from the initial cost, the main part - an  expensive battery is not as endurable as the  main part in  a conventional car-the petrol engine for example, and nowhere near the endurence level of a modern diesel  engine.

It is one thing to entice motorists, but the obvious has to be addressed one way or another. I cannot help thinking that the idea of charging drivers of electric vehicles by the mile  is likely to stall the sales a bit. 

From the news article:
The UK needs to create a new motoring tax to plug the revenue gap as drivers switch to electric cars, MPs have said. The government should tax motorists based on miles travelled as the use of petrol and diesel vehicles decreases, the Transport Select Committee said.

If no action is taken this year, the UK faces a £35bn "black hole" in its finances, they said. Taken together, vehicle excise duty - better known as "car tax" - and fuel duty that motorists pay at the pump, raise around £35bn a year, but neither tax is levied on pure electric vehicles.

The MPs said charging people based on how much they drive, using technology to track cars' movements, should be considered. Motorists should pay "the same or less" than they do currently, the MPs said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60251046

Edited by Janus

30 minutes ago, Janus said:

The MPs said charging people based on how much they drive, using technology to track cars' movements, should be considered. Motorists should pay "the same or less" than they do currently, the MPs said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60251046

Wonder what is meant by this, ie track, time and log every journey, or just simply log the distance travelled?

By hook or by crook, the goverment will dip into the pockets of the motorist as much as possible.

Putting aside the argument of raising revenue, the linkage between miles driven and tax raised is unfair.

The focus on raising revenue should be on urban areas for two reasons:

1 Urban areas have alternatives that rural areas do not and the closer proximity of work, food, health and education in urban areas.

2 Environmental damage caused by road use and infrastructure.

The proof that cars are not required is evidenced by London but with its  annual £5 billion transport subsidy.  Subsidies which would be illegal in most cases in England.

4 hours ago, carosio said:

By hook or by crook, the goverment will dip into the pockets of the motorist as much as possible.

I hear what you say. 

One thing that is 'sort of' relevant  that I don't understand at the moment is this: There is a large battery production concern being built, or already built and running in the UK. The government has contributed £100 million to it. 

Although I have zero interest in owning an electric car,  I feel that the £100 million would have been better spent as a discount to motorists who are willing to buy an electric car. Surely manufactures of electric cars should shoulder the cost of the battery??

Edited by Janus
Typo

As I both cycle and DRIVE A CAR I have been using ByMiles car insurance for nearly three years now.

I have a ODB plug in the car which send the GPS data of miles travelled so it could easily be integrated into new cars for charging per mile.

And isn't any 'black hole' of their own making ? :huh: ??????

Some cars pay zero tax,

some pay £20,

some pay £30

while the rest of us who use the same roads pay higher premiums of the VED depending on cc :suspect: .

How will introducing 'miles travelled' work?

Bigger cars will be more popular.

Catch the bus / cycle for work, save yer miles.

Come the weekend out in the Jag / Yank tank / Classic car - sounds good to me :thumbsup: 🙃 🤣 :thumbsup: .

No Tax or MOT needed for that Classic Car (for now) and cheaper insurance what's not to like ?

Happy motoring 8) enjoy it while you can - our generation did.

1 hour ago, Dromedary said:

Illegal, how come?

How TfL controls Public Transport in London enjoys a whole different set of laws and regulations and exemptions to Laws applicable to the rest of England.

Here are a few:

Legally required de-regulation did not apply to London.

Imposition of competition regulation.

Imposition of threats of huge financial penalties on Councils if they interfeared.

Cross subsidy is illegal.

Integration of trams, bus, rail and underground  is much easier.

Control of route and frequency is not dictated by operator.

Transfering £ billions of operating and infrastructure debt to the national taxpayer.

Transfer of £ billions in pension liability 

Unsustainable debts which would bankrupt English Councils.

Free travel at the whim of politicians.