The jury service queries thread

How to they pick the foreman:- volunteers, voted by others or selected as most suitable by somebody else?

Simialr to X Factor. Simon Cowell and Sir Pete Waterman audition a variety of people and the one they like the best gets to be foreman.

BTW - Foreman is now considered a sexist term as it contains the word 'man' when obviously it could just as well be a woman. Also, there is no suggestion in the term that people of a different skin colour (ie, non-white) might also occupy this position. So in order to counter the notion of a male dominated white suprmacy in the justice system the term 'Foreskin' is now used instead. This implies that then head of a jury can be either sex and any skin colour. However, Jewish groups have objected as they say it still discriminates against them.

How to they pick the foreman:- volunteers, voted by others or selected as most suitable by somebody else?

The jury decides, not many people like having to pass the verdict, i volunteered to the glad acceptance of my fellow jurours.

All of my jury service has been in America, and since our laws are based on English law I would think there are similarities. Immigrants like me who take citizenship are usually called soon and often. I have been summoned for three criminal and two civil cases. You wait in an area to be called for jury selection sometimes for a month, or a week, or even just for a day. You may be called to jury selection known as voir-dire, where you can be challenged by the prosecutor or defence lawyer over points like are you a recist etc. There are no barristers in our system, defences are carried out by trial lawyers, and prepared by paralegals instead of solicitors. We used to get $10.00 a day for our services, don't know how much it is today, but I was salaried and my company still paid me. It was tough on hourly paid people especially if they got a long trial.

The jury decides, not many people like having to pass the verdict, i volunteered to the glad acceptance of my fellow jurours.

Yeah I also found that not many people actually wanted to do it, so I did.

I guess it's because in an emotional case you'll be the person everyone moans at when you read it out. Because in general people are stupid and wouldn't figure that the verdict was actually decided on by the whole jury, and would just blame that one speaker.

Archived