The jury service queries thread

I did it last year. Our jury went out to consider a verdict early afternoon on a hot sunny Friday after a week and I couldn't believe how people were impatient to go and not prepared to discuss the case and just popped a verdict out with nothing to back it up. Alot of people kept looking at their watches after 10 minutes, and fidgeting and it turned out one had arranged to meet a friend to go shopping that afternoon, one had an appointment with a golf course that afternoon. How can they make arrangements when they don't know how long it will take to reach a verdict? I could go on, but left with a really bad taste in my mouth at the thought of people's priorities. They just really couldn't wait to get out of there and start their weekend, and that was obviously far more important than coming to a fair and just decision about a man's future. I certainly think about the British justice system in a different way now.

Sounds remarkably like my own experience that /i mentioned earlier in this thread - 2 years ago!

Whats to be scared about? I found it boring was about 3 days before I was selected to go on one then in court I was not called to sit on the jury and sent back downstairs witrh someone else who was not selected. Second time I was called think the trial lasted 2 days and after that the judge said we could be discharged as they had more than enough jurors. It all depends on luck there were some people there who were called and sat on several trials, then there were others sat in the waiting room bored stiff. If the allowance for food has not gone up then it will be poor, when I was there several years ago all the food and drink was vastly overpriced.

i am on Jury service a week today!! Absolutly bricking it!! and probably will be out of pocket as well!! My employer won;t pay me so got to claim it back!!!

Just make sure your emlployee has filled in and officially stamped your loss of earnings certificate. And take a good book - a really good book.

No need to brick it, you just turn up with your papers, get signed in (all signposted) and go to a pretty large room, all mod cons and coffee machine etc, watch a video on your role and dos and don'ts, get talked at for an hour and then you're left alone. Throughout the morning/afternoon they call 15 names on the tanoy, if you're called, go line up where you're told, an usher will come get you and you go to a court room. 12 of the 15 are picked, the remaining 3 go back to the pool and are lead out again. Then well - listen and do as you are told really!

Nothing to be scared of but there is an aweful lot of waiting around. Drove me mental. The food + drink allowance is now about 5.50, any you don't spend you get back - at least it was earlier in the year! In fact the expenses part of the process was really very smooth.

Archived