The jury service queries thread

Just accept that this is part of your civic duty as a member of this society. There is nothing to be scared of, you will be given all the information you need, and if you still have questions just ask them.

I'm sure its never convenient or a barrel of laughs for anyone, but it is part of our Justice system, which despite much slating is still alot better and fairer than that of many countries.

These are the allowances you get:

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/docs/infoabout/juryservice/Allowances-May2008.pdf

looks to be just over £60 a day for the first 10 days, which is over £7 an hour which isn't terrible but obviously quite alot of people may earn more.

Of course, it wouldn't be a representative group taken from the population if it were only people that wanted to do it. That is a big part of the point of triel by a jury of your peers... its 10 days of your life, just do your duty and feel proud to have a country where justice actually means something

and what happened to freedom of speech and being able to do what we want to do, don;t like being told I HAVE to do something, i shouldn;t HAVE TO do anything unless i choose too

Well what a good member of society you are - there are plenty of things we HAVE to do which form part of our civilised society - you HAVE to pay taxes, you HAVE to abide by the law, you HAVE to do jury service (aside from the noted exceptions) or face the consequences.

In Australia they HAVE to vote too.

i did jury service about two years ago and loved it, found it very interesting but only had a simple case which lasted for two days though the rest of the time was spent hanging around, got called a few times but was sent back, people where knitting, reading cross stitching and alsorts to pass the time, wish i had the chance to do it again

Well what a good member of society you are - there are plenty of things we HAVE to do which form part of our civilised society - you HAVE to pay taxes, you HAVE to abide by the law, you HAVE to do jury service (aside from the noted exceptions) or face the consequences.

In Australia they HAVE to vote too.

i consider myself to be a good member of society thanks and i do alot (which you will never know) for society and don;t feel you should be made to something you really don;t want to do, people have different opinions and i;m sure it will be the same on jury service and i will stress my feeling towards that as well

Archived