The jury service queries thread

i dont think moderating tittle tattle forums are thought of that highly outside of the forum tbh

not really something you can use to get ajob or run the world?

You had to go and spoil my dreams didn't you :hihi:.

Actually you'd be amazed at how impressed some people are if you mention being a forum moderator :huh:. I however like to remain mysterious so that no-one knows who I am :D (well only a few).

tittle tattle or not there must be a level of commitment and self discipline required, surely the type of traits looked for when picking the leader of the jury

:hihi:

Probably but isn’t that the idea of a jury, it’s a joint decision.

But why should people be made to do it? Why not use volunteers instead?

You had to go and spoil my dreams didn't you :hihi:.

Actually you'd be amazed at how impressed some people are if you mention being a forum moderator :huh:. I however like to remain mysterious so that no-one knows who I am :D (well only a few).

hm really?

ive been mod, admin, irc op on a few forums, sites, irc channels in my time but im still seen as the weirdo, the freak, the annoying one :P

Just do it, stop moaning and trying to get out of it. Jurys need to representative of a cross section of society and i think your views on who is normally on them are rather narrow minded. I'm sure your time is important to you, but without people willing to do jury service the criminal justice system would grind to a halt. Stop whinging

I don't see why they need a jury. After all if they weren't guilty they wouldn't have been arrested.

I've done it on 2 different occasions now, I also got to be foreman the second time! It wouldn't bother me if I had to do it again as work paid me anyway, but if you are self employed it could be a big problem. On one of my stints, there was someone there I knew who was really nervous about doing it. He didn't show up the next day and I found out later he got a note from his doc to say he wasnt able to do it because it was too stressful or something.

I think you have answered the OP in a roundabout way.

If someone went to their doctor and said the mere thought of jury service was giving them sleepless nights etc etc could they get a “sick note” and be exempt.

So it's easily done then. I thought it would be more difficult than that.

I've done it on 2 different occasions now, I also got to be foreman the second time! It wouldn't bother me if I had to do it again as work paid me anyway, but if you are self employed it could be a big problem. On one of my stints, there was someone there I knew who was really nervous about doing it. He didn't show up the next day and I found out later he got a note from his doc to say he wasnt able to do it because it was too stressful or something.

So would you be happy to tick a box that meant your name went onto a list of volunteers to be called upon when needed?

Archived