The jury service queries thread

I have only done Jury Service once and that was in 1989! I found the all experience quite interesting but I nearly didn't get on an actual case as although I turned up for Jury service I had suffered a whiplash neck injury from a car accident and had a doctors note which I had passed to the court clerk. What I hadn't realised was that for a week the court didn't think I was there and one day when I got home from court having sat around for another day I received a letter with a date on to attend for jury service!:huh::suspect:

So the following day I took this letter in and asked what it was all about as I had been there attending Jury Service!!! They said that obviously there had been a misunderstanding with me having a doctors note as they thought I wasn't attending court - even though I had been there every day "signing on".

I did get to go on a case and found it all fascinating. I wouldn't mind having to go on Jury service again if needed.

I somehow doubt they'd ask me, seeing as I have an ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorder) which limits my social skills.

However, I've just been accepted for a job as a Police Support Volunteer, just got to pass an enhanced CRB check and wait for induction date,

I disagree with Alistair's comment about, Jurors being mainly Unemployed, housewives and retired! I was an 18 year old woman with a full time job, when I was called up, and most people I know who have served as a Juror have always been in employment! I think you have to have a very good excuse not to do Jury service, for example, being in hospital. I think people should be honoured to serve! It can really make you think about the decisions you make, when your decision lies with the demise of a person's future situation. Be proud, to be chosen for your judgement!

As the title says, how do I get out of doing it? I have better things to be doing and would lose out financially if I said yes.

It's commonly known that jurys are largely comprised of housewives, unemployed/unemployable and the retired - so how do the rest of you get out doing jury service?

How did you come about that list?

I did it and I really enjoyed it. I was on maternity leave from my main job but had already returned to my lesser job at the time.

It is possible just to go ahead and do it and put yourself on the 'willing to be dismissed early' list, instead of the 'please pick me' list.

I would simply write to them and advise that my outgoings would exceed my incomings, leading to missed payments on my mortgage and loans, resulting in a potentially ironic trip to court.

I believe one of my clients who earned over £100k did this and they let him off; his mortgage repayments alone were nearly three times what he would have recieved in a month from jury earnings.

Alastair, just hope that you don't get involved in a complicated case that could last for months. On the plus side you also get given a daily dinner allowance.

You get an allowance yes, however when I did Jury Service you could only spend so much of it in a morning and save the rest for lunchtime and the cost of things were ridiculous, it was about 50p for a kit kat and this was 2001. If I remember rightly the sandwiches were expensive as well for what they were. Also you can defer Jury Service once with a good enough reason as far as I remember.

As the title says, how do I get out of doing it? I have better things to be doing and would lose out financially if I said yes.

It's commonly known that jurys are largely comprised of housewives, unemployed/unemployable and the retired - so how do the rest of you get out doing jury service?

I have a friend who has spent a good few years in jail and would you believe it he has just got a letter saying he has to do jury service.

He says he is going to tell the judge his sympathies automatically go towards the defendant.

Archived