The jury service queries thread

How did you come about that list?

I did it and I really enjoyed it. I was on maternity leave from my main job but had already returned to my lesser job at the time.

It is possible just to go ahead and do it and put yourself on the 'willing to be dismissed early' list, instead of the 'please pick me' list.

I came about that list from an article in The Guardian.

"My jury was highly representative: of people with time on their hands. Where were the teachers, the professionals, the City bankers, the chattering classes? Where were the Guardian readers? Er, bunked off, m'lud. Lord Auld's findings suggest that juries are largely made up of housewives and the unemployed. Everyone else is too busy in the office."

Here, it's an interesting read - http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2000/jun/14/jurytrials.law

I have done jury service twice. The first time I was called upon, the second I volunteered, I enjoyed it very much, that was in the 80's. I met a Judge at a party, he was very interested in 'what went on in the jury room'. I think it is being a good citizen if you can do it. I couldn't do it now, I can't sit for very long periods, due to a back problem.

Have people become individualistic to such an extent these days, that there simply isn't any comprehension left of the term 'duty' anymore? But only of the term 'rights'?

[sarcasm]An interesting thread, to be compared and contrasted with the earlier 'patriotic' one[/sarcasm]

Errrr, the compensation is £62.81 a day. That equates to £314 a week, not even minimum wage. They're obviously not aiming high if they hope to attract a representative cross section of society.

£8.37 1/2 per hour (for 7.5 hour day) is more than minimum wage

How would it make a difference? People from all walks of life would be willing to give it a go. The letters would still be sent out in exactly the same just to people on the list. It isn't like those on the list can pick who they do jury duty with or when. It would just be a case of as, if or when needed.

Unless 99% of the population, like the OP, have no desire for trial by jury and opt-out.

:nod::nod:Firstly I'd LOVE 2 DO JURY SERVICE but have never been selected, whereas a guy i used to work with was selected twice! (And before anyone asks I've got a clean criminal record)

Right lets look at this objectively....

The court & it's staff deal with issues / questions of Law.... whereas the jury deal with isues / questions of the facts. The trial by jury allows one to be tried by ones' peers, guided by the judge on issues of law & sentanced if applicable.

The selection of juries is governed by the Juries Act 1974. You can look this up on the net on any search engine, but the list of inelegible persons is covered by Schedule 1 Part 1 Groups A , B , C & Dof the said act. Disqualified persons are covered by Part 2 (usually criminal record).Persons excusable as of right are covered by Part 3 (armed forces, medical persons, certain religious bodies).

If you are not covered by the said list in this act it is worth bearing in mind that the court will call on the day, an above-&-beyond sample of persons (i.e. too many people); just in case some are not suitable or inelegable. At this point they will try to select a jury from the too large sample.

I have heard of a few people being excused for their hearing not being pin sharp when their names were called out when they were trying to form a jury :wink:. Sometimes 5 or 6 times their name was called out before they heard their name correctly!!! At the end of the day the administrationm of justice is a costly thing & they don't want to risk a possible retrial as one of the jury can't hear all the evidence correctly. However, they may these days offer a hearing amplifier or aid if they thought you were hard of hearing!

The jury can also be vetted by the defendant / defence to ensure impartiality. You could hope that you know them from way back & ask to be excused!

If you do have to do it hope it doesn't end up being the 'drag' that you think it will be?:thumbsup:

£8.37 1/2 per hour (for 7.5 hour day) is more than minimum wage

But its less than what i currently earn so why should i take (in essense) a pay cut for jury service?

What if the trial lasts months? I might not be able to afford to take a pay cut? especially in a recession you might need the money just to keep your house.

They should pay your wages for you while your on jury service- that way no-one looses out (and i bet the take-up would increase)

But its less than what i currently earn so why should i take (in essense) a pay cut for jury service?

What if the trial lasts months? I might not be able to afford to take a pay cut? especially in a recession you might need the money just to keep your house.

They should pay your wages for you while your on jury service- that way no-one looses out (and i bet the take-up would increase)

Because the right to a fair trial by a jury of your peers is worth more than the difference between what you earn and the allowance paid?

The rest of your points are valid and worth taking up with the authorities. But I doubt you'll convince our glorious leaders, seeing as they don't appear to like justice as much as some other people do.

Archived