The jury service queries thread

Because the right to a fair trial by a jury of your peers is worth more than the difference between what you earn and the allowance paid?

The rest of your points are valid and worth taking up with the authorities. But I doubt you'll convince our glorious leaders, seeing as they don't appear to like justice as much as some other people do.

In an ideal world i would agree but if you are an extremely well paid person (which unfortunately im not btw) then they are less inclined to think this.

nah- id love to see gordon brown called up for jury service!!!!

In an ideal world i would agree but if you are an extremely well paid person (which unfortunately im not btw) then they are less inclined to think this.

nah- id love to see gordon brown called up for jury service!!!!

Absolutely! But without striving for an ideal world, there is no way we'll get anywhere near to one :)

The selection of juries is governed by the Juries Act 1974. You can look this up on the net on any search engine, but the list of inelegible persons is covered by Schedule 1 Part 1 Groups A , B , C & Dof the said act. Disqualified persons are covered by Part 2 (usually criminal record).Persons excusable as of right are covered by Part 3 (armed forces, medical persons, certain religious bodies).

Not any more. Those groups lost their excusal from jury service in 2004.

• 1 year later...

Just been called up to do this in October and looking forward to it.

Anyone wanting more info there is a really good PDF guide here:

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/docs/infoabout/juryservice/Jury_service_guide.pdf

Looks like a winner, food expenses, travel expenses and full pay from work as legally not a lot they can do about it. Feel a bit sorry for self-employed people though as their recompense for lost earnings is a bit miserly.

The problem with jury duty is that only the old, the unemployed and housewives want to do it. Anyone with a decent job will lose out financially as the expenses they pay are a pittance compared with what you could earn at work.

When I got called for jury duty I searched for advice online and found out that the best option for getting out of jury duty was not to respond to the letter and not to turn up on the day. In other words completely ignore it.

Despite all the threats in the letter they just don't have the resources to chase up people who don't show up.

I'd be happy to do jury duty in retirement, but not right now.

The problem with jury duty is that only the old, the unemployed and housewives want to do it. Anyone with a decent job will lose out financially as the expenses they pay are a pittance compared with what you could earn at work.

When I got called for jury duty I searched for advice online and found out that the best option for getting out of jury duty was not to respond to the letter and not to turn up on the day. In other words completely ignore it.

Despite all the threats in the letter they just don't have the resources to chase up people who don't show up.

I'd be happy to do jury duty in retirement, but not right now.

I have to be excused work and I'm also receiving full pay, which I believe in the private sector is now the norm? So your statement is utter rubbish, as I have a decent job and am not losing out financially.

I have to be excused work and I'm also receiving full pay, which I believe in the private sector is now the norm? So your statement is utter rubbish, as I have a decent job and am not losing out financially.

I agree. When I did it in 2002 I was working nights for a large logistics company. I basically got a month off on full pay.

I would have lost out because I work for an American company that's not subject to UK law. Before that I was a self employed consultant and would also have lost out.

Fair enough, but that's not 'anyone with a good job' is it like you stated, that's just your personal experience.

Archived