The jury service queries thread

Redfox, wait until to have sat with some Sheffield jurors. You might change your mind. I was astounded at the mere lack of common sense, and wit held by most. Not to mention the inability to hold a coherent discussion in to the crime at hand. Many don't even listen, or take notes, and can't be bothered to analyse all the points on which the jury is to prove guilt. Staggering.

The discussions in the jury suite are private and should never be discussed away from it. I am surprised the moderator has not said so before.

I don't think anyone would be worried by these revelations, post trial.

This thread has got me thinking about my experience on a jury now!!!

It is a very tough experience, or can be. Particularly when you know you have made the right decision, but do not necessarily think it is suitable for the person receiving the sentence.

I sat on two juries. The first one we just KNEW the defendants were guilty, BUT the prosecution were unable to prove to us their guilt on all of the three points on which it was required to prove their guilt. Therefore, they were acquitted. I heard later that the police had been after these people for ages, and that they had been in and out of court quite often. They were actually quite vile, and the victim had been badly hurt by them. Still, you can only go by what you hear during the trial.

The other case has stayed with me ever since. It was quite a high-profile case at the time, and the defendant was quite an upstanding member of the community, who had made one bad error of judgement. We had to find him/her guilty, and yet I felt dreadful ever since, because s/he seemed like a genuine person. I do know that this person is now free, and I often think about him/her, and hope that s/he is making a real go of his/her life again. I hear s/he is doing well for him/herself, although only from what I have gathered from the odd newspaper article. The Press really went to town with this person, but after having sat on the jury, I truly believe that this is not a bad person, and I wish them happiness, and success.

Redfox, wait until to have sat with some Sheffield jurors. You might change your mind. I was astounded at the mere lack of common sense, and wit held by most. Not to mention the inability to hold a coherent discussion in to the crime at hand. Many don't even listen, or take notes, and can't be bothered to analyse all the points on which the jury is to prove guilt. Staggering.

So jury life mirroring forum life, Babooshka? :hihi:

• 6 months later...

Archived