The jury service queries thread

Indeed, because they don't want the sort of people who would volunteer.

Famously juries are made up of 'housewives, pensioners and the unemployed'. People who have other stuff to do tend to wriggle out of it. I got called for jury duty last year and just ignored the letter. I never heard from them again.

If I had gone and done the jury duty I would have lost out big time financially as their compensation for loss of earnings is pathetic.

yea but iv read loads of times they pay your full wages(what you earn at work) i just thought it would be a good experience for me if i got picked

They do pay a good allowance, but there is a ceiling to it. I did not lose anything because my employer made my salary up, but then, I was on a good salary. If you are on a low salary you could be better off.

yea but iv read loads of times they pay your full wages(what you earn at work) i just thought it would be a good experience for me if i got picked

Your work may pay you your full wages. If they don't, the court pays loss of earnings at daily rate up to a salary equivalent of just over £17,000. If your annual salary is more than this, you would be out of pocket.

It is an academic discussion though, you can't volunteer and many people never receive a summons.

I've been called twice over the years and it's part fascinating, part painful stress and part deadly dull boring sitting about waiting for things that you can't see for legal reasons to happen so you can get on and do something purposeful.

If you get called make sure that you take a flask, a cushion and at least 2 books ;)

They do pay a good allowance, but there is a ceiling to it. I did not lose anything because my employer made my salary up, but then, I was on a good salary. If you are on a low salary you could be better off.

Not so, you can only claim for documented loss of earnings, no more.

When I did it I got three low key cases, shoplifting, receiving stolen goods and possession of cannabis. The experience was interesting while in court but you spend a lot of time sitting waiting to be called and may not even get called at all but as far as can remember I got my wages paid. I wouldn't mind doing it again but the negative side is you have someones liberty in your hands and you have to be sure you are making the right decision beyond all reasonable doubt:D

Archived