The jury service queries thread

hahaha noooooooooooooo!! our case was so funny. some blokes robbed a bakery, but they did it on wages day so there was only bout £100 in till and nowt in safe!! not the brightest of people!! mind u, i say they did...they got away wiv it!! haha

take a vote on whether the person is innocent or guilty

then discuss the relevant points on either side

No! Other way round:

discuss the relevant points on either side

In fact, you mustn't decide whether the person is innocent or guilty. You must decide whether the evidence presented sufficiently proves that the accused did what they are accused of.

No! Other way round:

discuss the relevant points on either side

If you all vote guilty or not guilty before discussing the case, then why bother to discuss it?

I was on jury service many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, especially as I got my wages TAX FREE and a small subsistance allowance for lunch. All in all I was there for around 13 weeks (it was a very long trial) but I loved it.

Wished I could go back, beats going to work anyday but from what I remember there is a lot of waiting around and you may be sent home if they're discussing things that aren't relevant to the jury.

Enjoy!

I did it last year and really enjoyed it, although we were discharged after 5 days as they were absolutely over-run with jurors. Smashed a few preconceptions, the main one being that you're going to walk in and it's going to be a doddle to find someone guilty. I also made a friend who I still keep in touch with. We got an assault case first, not guilty. Then we were called up for a drugs case. When the judge said what the charge was, before the jury was actually selected, I heard my friend go "Yes!" cos she wanted something juicy LOL Unfortunately, 3 of the jury selected knew or recognised the defendant and we were sent down for re-selection. In the end they selected a totally new jury and we were discharged altogether.

They've got a TV but as it's only daytime trash, yes, take a good book. There are magazines and papers around as well. But it was a great experience, and although not every case is as simple or easy to handle as ours was, it wouldn't worry me now if I was called up again.

I wasn't out of pocket, except a bit on travel expenses, cos I got paid by my employer.

Two pieces of advice, Zebra. Firstly, if there is absolutely anything you're not sure of/don't understand fully, don't be afraid to ask and if you're still not satisfied you have understood properly, ask again and keep asking until you are sure. Secondly, don't be railroaded into going down a road that you're not sure you agree with just to keep the peace. Some people think that just because they might have a better job or more privileged background than you that their opinions count more than yours. The whole idea is that a representative selection is made. Don't compromise what you believe in and don't let anyone tell you what to believe/do.

I did it many years ago and yes you can hang around a lot. I ended up with two cases. The first was we had to make a desision wether this bloke was fit for trial as he`d been hit on the head since he got caught. The judge told us to come back with the verdict that he was unfit!! What was the point of that? The second was a bloke up for threat to kill. Basicly he`d got annoyed with his girlfriend and told her he`d f***ing kill her so she had him arrested. She`d got him on tape so it was end of story. Just shows how easy it is to get in trouble. How many times have you said "i could kill him/her for doing that"?

Archived