The jury service queries thread

If you write them a letter explaining your circumstances, it can be deferred until a later date. I had a letter last year and I got let off as I was in the same situation as you, although I would have liked to do it.

Deferred for how long?? So do you reckin if I say it would interfere with college, any job interviews I might have and also about childcare etc I would be let off? Think it mught be a good experience but don't wanna case that goes on week!!!!! What do you have to do, sit in a courtroom like on TV all day then discuss after?! I am no good at public talking?!

Deferred for how long?? So do you reckin if I say it would interfere with college, any job interviews I might have and also about childcare etc I would be let off? Think it mught be a good experience but don't wanna case that goes on week!!!!! What do you have to do, sit in a courtroom like on TV all day then discuss after?! I am no good at public talking?!

I had to do Jury service 20 years ago, just a few weeks before A levels - I lost most of my study time and they would not let me defer it. I think you can claim out of pocket expenses related to work, so I don't see why you can't claim the childcare costs back, but I could be wrong, you could be seriously out of pocket as well.

I've done jury service twice, and as far as I remember, you'll only be asked to do two weeks. Any trials that are likely to last longer than that have juries composed entirely of people who have been asked and agreed to serve longer than that.

When you're attending for jury service, take an mp3 player, book, knitting, mints, and anything else you can think of that will pass hour after hour sitting about waiting to be called. The first time I did jury service I was on the jury for 2 short trials but also had 3 days just sitting doing nothing in the court building and 2 days at home. On the second occasion I was occupied for every day that I was there, but there was still a lot of sitting about in the mornings as they like to have the jury sitting there ready to go in at any time when the legal arguments have been concluded.

You have to sit and listen to the case, from the prosecution and defence, and then you and your jury are taken away to a room and have to deliberate with each other till you make a decision based on what you've seen and heard.

It is a fascinating experience, although I wouldn't want to do it again because the case I had was quite traumatic :\

But i'm glad I did it on the whole. There CAN be a lot of waiting around though if there's not many cases to be on going.

I have done jury service and if you do defer there has to be a really good reason. In alot of cases you have to provide proof ie doctors note to say you arent fit to serve at that time but from what I remember its pretty strict.

Maybe it depends on which county you're in, or the luck of the draw when someone answers the phone.

My sister (in Luton) got collared for jury service two years ago; when she rang to explain she had three young children, she was immediately excused - not deferred, but let off altogether.

I did it years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, found the whole thing very interesting. Mine lasted for 2 weeks. I thought there was no getting out of it unless you could provide a doctors note, but totally understand that it would be difficult for you with a young baby.

If you can`t get out of it and really don`t want to be away from home it might be worth having a word with your doctor and tell him it would be too traumatic for you so soon after giving birth, I`m sure he`d provide you with a sick note.

It sounds like there is a lot of variation, because when I did Jury Service (in Leciester) people were being excused for all sorts of reasons. (Holidays etc).

If you do have to go, then yeah, be prepared for a lot of sitting around doing nothing. I was on for the normal 2 week period but only 3 days of that were on trial, and a "day" in trial terms is really not that long.

I did it in November. Most boring 2 weeks of my life. spent the first week doing nothing but reading, didnt get called, courts wern't active :rant: (this is a rant in itself!!)

Spent the 2nd week, wait for it...reading!:o then on my last day got a case, got sworn in and then he pleading bloody gulity so we wernt needed and sent home.

Take a good book, be warned its very boring and the days drag. ALot of the time if you havent been alocated in the am they send you home at 1pm so you have the rest of the day free. Other than that you have to sit around waiting to see if you get called. Most of the time its the courts that arnt in action either due to witness not turningup, dependants not turning up....this really annoyed me and something should be done about it, its such a waste of tax payers money..:rant:

Anyway, its very boring :hihi:

You can defer but they keep calling you, you cant get out of it anymore, i deferred 3 times but still had to do it. They are pretty flexible, give them a call and they will change your dates :thumbsup:

Archived