The jury service queries thread

I have done jury service and if you do defer there has to be a really good reason. In alot of cases you have to provide proof ie doctors note to say you arent fit to serve at that time but from what I remember its pretty strict.

Not to defer, you can be deferred for any reason so long as it is valid. You only have to have to have a very good and provable reason to be excused altogether. I know several people who have deferred because they have young children. If you are a stay at home mum who is not used to leaving her child with a stranger (none had any family living within severalhundred miles)why should you be forced to, as long as you are prepared to do your bit at a later date? One was called back 3 years later, the other two are yet to hear from them again.

Personally I think it's a load of garbage. I bet they don't know the background of any of the people that called onto jury service and what sort of life they have had, for all they know they could be biased. If they have been attacked for example they aren't going to be happy about letting go someone who is accused of attcking someone. They call up people with responsibilties at home that find it hard to get away. Call up all the people who aren't at college, looking after children and call up those who stay in bed all day. Or even better, get some training for people who wish to do it and let those people do it. Send out a questionaire to every household asking if anyone would be willing to take part and use those people first. ok moan over :rant:

I did it a few years ago, brace yourself I was on the jury for 13 weeks but it was a complex case. I loved it tho some of it was very boring.

They did ask if anyone couldn't commit themselves to such a case but I didn't really have a valid excuse not to.

I don't know if it's still the case but my wages were tax free and you get a small allowance for lunch. We even had to stay in a hotel when it came to deliberations and could talk to No one, all very exciting stuff but I remember after a few days after it was all over the weight of what we'd done as a jury kind of hit me with the responsibility of it all. It was a great experience though and I learned loads.

My only problem was getting back into work after.....

You can defer it as they called me at a time that was really inconvenient. I wrote back with a limited number of specific dates that would be convenient and got one of those. I think they expect you to complete it within 12 months of the original call up date though.

You do end up hanging around for ages which is boring. I got called for four cases but two of those never actually used the jury to make a decision as the defendant changed their plea. Having watched what goes on in court I did begin to wonder why solicitors get paid so much!

What I've often wondered is, do they actually cover the full amount of the wages that you lose by being on Jury Service, or is there a set allowance for everyone?

It seems unfair if someone loses £2000 for the fortnight and the person next to them loses £500 and they both end up with the same flat rate payment IMO.

Personally I think it's a load of garbage. I bet they don't know the background of any of the people that called onto jury service and what sort of life they have had, for all they know they could be biased. If they have been attacked for example they aren't going to be happy about letting go someone who is accused of attcking someone. They call up people with responsibilties at home that find it hard to get away. Call up all the people who aren't at college, looking after children and call up those who stay in bed all day. Or even better, get some training for people who wish to do it and let those people do it. Send out a questionaire to every household asking if anyone would be willing to take part and use those people first. ok moan over :rant:

they could let pensioners do it, IMO they have lived longer and should be wiser and more able to make an unbiased decision.

Maybe it depends on which county you're in, or the luck of the draw when someone answers the phone.

My sister (in Luton) got collared for jury service two years ago; when she rang to explain she had three young children, she was immediately excused - not deferred, but let off altogether.

It's only deferred. It may be that she won't be asked to do it for a long time (such as until her kids have grown up), but you can be asked to do jury service more than once in any case.

If your reason for not attending is, er, less timebound*, shall we say, it will be put back for a few weeks or months - if, as in your sister's case, it's rather more disruptive, then it's a case of waiting till her number comes up next time.

*When I was at school, one of our senior Masters got his jury service put back to the school holidays, as his, and our, work would have suffered had he not been there during the term.

Jury service is usually for no more than two weeks, and is very interesting actually!

As others have said, take a few good books, some food and drink (the cafeteria is HORRENDOUSLY expesive and wasn't that good when I did jury service about 8 years ago). Make sure all your metal bits are easily removable, as you'll have to go through a metal detector, sit back, don't get too bored, and don't be intimidated by it! That's, of course, if you have to go!

The scariest bit for me was when I saw the Crown Court summons land on the mat. All I could think was, "How bloody drunk was I THAT night?" ........ until I opened it ........ :hihi:

Just out of interest as the only knowledge I have of jury service is reading John Grisham books, where for big cases there are many jurors brought in, and the prosecution and defence can strike off a few each that they don't want?

No. In cases where there may be a well known* accused, or well known* witnesses, a list of all those to appear is read out before the jury is empannelled. Anybody of the 15 (which becomes 12 by ballot in the Court) who recognises a name must say so, and will then be discharged from the trial.

*not necessarily famous, but say, a nurse, or civil servant - someone who is likely to have dealt with many people.

What I've often wondered is, do they actually cover the full amount of the wages that you lose by being on Jury Service, or is there a set allowance for everyone?

It seems unfair if someone loses £2000 for the fortnight and the person next to them loses £500 and they both end up with the same flat rate payment IMO.

No. It's a percentage, and is explained on the first day.

Archived