Not Convinced Gas Shortage Is Due To Demand.

Just about everything increases in price when demand increases considerably.I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden there is a big rush to use more gas by so many organisations. I cannot help thinking that there is something else going on. A deliberate action in one form or another?

Although the UK and some other countries in Europe produce gas, none of these appear to be the top ten producers, at least at the date of the article.

Link for the  10 countries with the highest natural gas production.

1 Russia
2 Iran
3 Quatar
4 United states
5 Saudi Arabia
6 Turkmenistan
7 United Arab Emerates
8 Venezuela
9 Nigeria
10 China
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/natural-gas-by-country

The gas suppliers have us securely by the sphericals, so might just as well squeeze while they have the opportunity. However when things start to settle down they will realise that we have long memories. My guess is that the first of the big boys to come in with common sense rates will be swamped with transfers.

Just now, El Cid said:

We have North Sea oli, dont we have gas too?

we have gas and oil, but it's all privatised, the profits are made by Shell / BP / etc.

the uk could go mad with Fracking, but it wouldn't bring down gas prices - it would just mean even more profit for the big companies.

(profit isn't a bad thing, but let's not pretend that fracking would magically bring down household bills)

1 hour ago, Janus said:

Just about everything increases in price when demand increases considerably.I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden there is a big rush to use more gas by so many organisations. I cannot help thinking that there is something else going on. A deliberate action in one form or another?

Although the UK and some other countries in Europe produce gas, none of these appear to be the top ten producers, at least at the date of the article.

Link for the  10 countries with the highest natural gas production.

1 Russia
2 Iran
3 Quatar
4 United states
5 Saudi Arabia
6 Turkmenistan
7 United Arab Emerates
8 Venezuela
9 Nigeria
10 China
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/natural-gas-by-country

I know what you mean. I don't trust anybody these days, especially the government. They don't tell you the half of it, and the other half is usually bullsh**

This all started with the financial crisis back in 2008. Nothing seems to have made sense since.

23 October 2007
Almost half of Britain's nuclear power stations are out of action, raising fears of power cuts and sharp price rises.

Our energy production has been on a knife edge for year, I believe I commented about it on Facebook in 2020.

11 minutes ago, Delbow said:

The International Energy Agency reports that Russian gas exports to Europe have reduced by 25% over recent months. That would cause wholesale prices to ride significantly, no?

Now add in the uncertainty about Russia and Ukraine and the threat that Biden will close the Nord Stream II and you will get an idea of why the panic and why prices are going even higher. The US would be happy to close it as this means they can make plenty of dollars exporting their own gas to europe in the event of a war or sanctions. Notice the similarities, Iraq was said to be partly about oil and Russia now seems to be partly about gas. 

We should have kept control of our own Utilities, and maintained the means of producing our own power. This situation was pretty much inevitable in the long term. We are an independent island. We should be able to pull up the draw bridge in emergencies as we did in the war and carry on regardless. We have the technology now to sustain our independence, and should have kept the reserves we need.