Comedy Isn't Very Good Anymore

I've always wondered whether people can be considered a Comedian if they have never performed in front of people?

I see a lot of unfunny TV personalities that are considered comedian's but never known to tour or do stand up. That Keith lemon character being.one

56 minutes ago, Delayed said:

I've always wondered whether people can be considered a Comedian if they have never performed in front of people?

I see a lot of unfunny TV personalities that are considered comedian's but never known to tour or do stand up. That Keith lemon character being.one

Well actually character Keith Lemon has done touring shows alongside Paddy Mcguiness.  He's also done shared gigs alongside other comics.  Regardless, as with most television productions in this country  they are performed in front of people - it is a live studio audience if not the entire show beamed live.

Just because the stereotype position is stood in front of a microphone telling jokes, I don't believe this is the limited definition of 'comedian'.

There are plenty of comedians who focus on soley sketch, character or dialogue work.  Francis as Lemon is clearly one of them.  Catherine Tate rarely does anything outside scripted comedy but she can hardly be dismissed as not being a comedian, neither does Steve Coogan, the League of Gentlemen, The Mighty Boosh, Vic & Bob.....  If we want to be picky, we could even part apply that to Roy Chubby Brown. After all it is a character and one whose views, the real life Mr Vasey will unlikely want to be linked to.  

Ultimately it all comes down to personal taste. Whether or not you like Lemon is irrelevant. It can't be stated that he's not a talented comedian. He didn't make multi millions, have a feature film and several lucrative contracts on network television by accident.

Edited by ECCOnoob

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Well actually Keith Lemon has done touring shows as the character Keith Lemon alongside Paddy Mcguiness he's also done shared gigs alongside other comics.

Just because the stereotype position is stood in front of a microphone telling jokes, I don't believe this is the limited definition of 'comedian'. There are plenty of comedians who focus on soley sketch, character or dialogue work.  Francis as Lemon is clearly one of them.  Catherine Tate rarely does anything outside scripted comedy but she can hardly be dismissed as not being a comedian.  If we want to be picky, we could even part apply that to Roy Chubby Brown. After all it is a character and one whose views, the real life Mr Vasey will  want to be linked to.  

Ultimately it all comes down to personal taste. Whatever or not you like lemon is irrelevant. It can't be dismissed that he's not a talented comedian. He didn't make multi millions, have a feature film and several lucrative contracts on network television by accident.

All valid points. 

Lemon is not my taste and I actually really liked Bo Selecta at the time. I just never understood the appeal of the Keith Lemon character and his TV show. 

Each to their own. 

Afterall some people must be finding Alan Carr funny