Is This Racist?

1 minute ago, Jack Grey said:

What did you think of the trailer for the new Docuseries on Showtime called 'Everything's Gonna Be All White'?

Do you think that the language is racist?

I have an idea. Why don't you watch the programme, but not in a wanting to outraged way, but instead in the spirit of deciding to actually listen to the experiences of black and brown people in America, with an open mind, so that you can better understand their experience and their reality.

1 minute ago, Delbow said:

I have an idea. Why don't you watch the programme, but not in a wanting to outraged way, but instead in the spirit of deciding to actually listen to the experiences of black and brown people in America, with an open mind, so that you can better understand their experience and their reality.

Brilliant.....you answered the question with a question

This is exactly what i just said to @The_DADDY

🙄

1 minute ago, Jack Grey said:

Brilliant.....you answered the question with a question

This is exactly what i just said to @The_DADDY

🙄

Ok - do I think that single comment in the trailer is racist? No. I think it's a generalisation and generalisations are often unhelpful, but if you spoke to that woman you'd probably find that she doesn't think all white people are the same or all white people are evil, and she probably knows white people who don't conform to the generalisation. It's a very short clip from a trailer, I'd be interested to know what else she says and in what context. If she was going on about how all white people are awful and evil, then yeah that would be racist. Now you answer my question, and not in a point scoring way.

3 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Ok - do I think that single comment in the trailer is racist? No. I think it's a generalisation and generalisations are often unhelpful, but if you spoke to that woman you'd probably find that she doesn't think all white people are the same or all white people are evil, and she probably knows white people who don't conform to the generalisation. It's a very short clip from a trailer, I'd be interested to know what else she says and in what context. If she was going on about how all white people are awful and evil, then yeah that would be racist. Now you answer my question, and not in a point scoring way.

Yeah im gonna watch it

Maybe they have added those bits in the trailer out of context to cause a bit of controversy to gain some traction for the series

However, im sure that if i was to make the below statement on this forum id be called a racist and banned from SF

"I think what annoys me most about black people is when they pretend to be a victim. One of the definitions of American blackness is ignorance"

7 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Yeah im gonna watch it

Maybe they have added those bits in the trailer out of context to cause a bit of controversy to gain some traction for the series

However, im sure that if i was to make the below statement on this forum id be called a racist and banned from SF

"I think what annoys me most about black people is when they pretend to be a victim. One of the definitions of American blackness is ignorance"

It is annoying when white people, who have significant advantages in America because of their skin colour, act like the victim. And most white people in America are very ignorant of the history of non-white people on that continent and what has been done to them by white people. I don't think those are controversial statements at all. America exists because white settlers were enraged that the British made a treaty with native Americans in 1763 guaranteeing land west of the Ohio River to native people. The settlers wanted to spread west and exterminate the native Americans, hence they rebelled against British rule. Those settlers (now 'Americans') then carried out a genocide of native people. The country exists because of racial genocide, but you won't find that many white Americans who know the history, which is ignorance 

47 minutes ago, Delbow said:

It is annoying when white people, who have significant advantages in America because of their skin colour, act like the victim. And most white people in America are very ignorant of the history of non-white people on that continent and what has been done to them by white people. I don't think those are controversial statements at all. America exists because white settlers were enraged that the British made a treaty with native Americans in 1763 guaranteeing land west of the Ohio River to native people. The settlers wanted to spread west and exterminate the native Americans, hence they rebelled against British rule. Those settlers (now 'Americans') then carried out a genocide of native people. The country exists because of racial genocide, but you won't find that many white Americans who know the history, which is ignorance 

I think that if you categorise people by the colour of their skin then its racist....the term "white people" in its very nature is racist

If you said that all 'black people' looked the same then its a racist thing to say

I just dont like the hypocrisy