What Is It With The 20% Increases On Food?

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

When the Government announced the 3.1% CPI inflation increase to the pension, that was in September 2021.

But the rate is now 5.5% CPI or 7.8% RPI and the increase looks poor, it doesnt come into affect untill April.

It's not that bad and pensioners should not complain (although they will). Mine goes up from £179.60 to £185.15 PW.

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

When the next pension increase is announced in September 2022 inflation is likely to be 7% and declining, so when it comes into effect next year, it may feel higher.

I think you are being very optimistic with that. Personally I think it will be at least 15% given the problems with Russia at the moment.

8 hours ago, Dromedary said:

It's not that bad and pensioners should not complain (although they will). Mine goes up from £179.60 to £185.15 PW.

Lucky you. I'm on the old rate which is considerably less. (I had to work till 63, but missed the new rate by 2 months.) I don't receive any top ups because I have a small works pension, which is all but wiped out to make up my pension. 

Cameron said no one would be worse off under the new rate. He lied.  

Edited by Anna B

I think you are being very optimistic with that. Personally I think it will be at least 15% given the problems with Russia at the moment.

It's garbage. Compare it to 40 hours at minimum wage and then treating pensioners like second class citizens with gimicks like free bus passes with strings attached while paying the lowest pension in the civilised world.

11 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Lucky you. I'm on the old rate which is considerably less. (I had to work till 63, but missed the new rate by 2 months.) I don't receive any top ups because I have a small works pension, which is all but wiped out to make up my pension. 

Cameron said no one would be worse off under the new rate. He lied.  

You have 4 years more pension years than me, I have to work untill 67 and being a woman you will probably live longer.

I was just going on predictions that it will reach 8% and then decline to 4% at the end of the year, those predictions maybe optimistic, but it will only reach 15% if people have money to spend. The Government paying back its debt by reducing public spending will keep inflation down.

Rising interest rates will also have a downward pressure on inflation, savers need higher rates.

If pay rises and council tax is kept to CPI inflation or lower, that will keep the money supply down, so keep inflation in check.

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

You have 4 years more pension years than me, I have to work untill 67 and being a woman you will probably live longer.

You're right. The whole pension system is a mess.

67 is definitely too long to work. A few people are fit enough to do this, but many are not. And that should be taken into account. The governments argument is that 'we are all living longer' which isn't actually true any more, (life expectancy figures are now going down) and doesn't take into account that people in some parts of the country live on average 10 years less than those in richer areas. 

Plus retiring at 65 frees up jobs for the younger generation. 

44 minutes ago, Anna B said:

67 is definitely too long to work. A few people are fit enough to do this, but many are not. And that should be taken into account. The governments argument is that 'we are all living longer' which isn't actually true any more, (life expectancy figures are now going down) and doesn't take into account that people in some parts of the country live on average 10 years less than those in richer areas. 

Completely disagree. Somebody has to pay for all these pensioners.

Average life expectancy in the UK has been steadily increasing. Back in the 1970s and 80s it was around the low aged 70s. By 1990 it was hitting mid to high aged 70s, and by 2019 the average figure was aged 80 or above. Even now with all the pandemic there might have been a slow down or stagnation but you still at such level.

Add on the fact that there has been significant change as to when people join the workforce. Let's compare how many people back in the 70s and 80s left school at 15/16 and straight into work.  Now, at least for the past two decades we have had significantly more numbers of people going into further education, at the very least a couple of years in technical college after school or as one of the huge numbers of people going to university.  That means we have far far more people not even starting any sort of full-time work until in their 20s.

The work itself has dramatically changed, no longer are we having vast numbers of people working in dangerous life-threatening Heavy Industries. We now have advances in machinery and methods, safety and controls with much more work being done at the press of a button or click of a mouse.  That technology advancement is showing no signs of slowing down with even more aspects of so-called 'grunt work' being completely humanless or human light involved operations.

It's absolutely naive to think things could just stay as they were.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

41 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Spot on Anna 👍.

But I think you missed out 'but would prefer you didn't'

after 'The governments argument is that 'we are all living longer'  🥴 :suspect:.

Keep safe out there 8) . 

:huh:   I'm sure someone keeps moving that                                                                                            🥅 .                                               

40 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I agree, the whole pension system is a mess. But should we have a flat system where we are all treated the same?

Or should we have a system where by the more you pay in, the more you get back.

Life expectancy was 70 in the 1970s, its now 10+ years longer, it is still increasing but slower.

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/whats-happening-life-expectancy-england

2 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Completely disagree. Somebody has to pay for all these pensioners.

Average life expectancy in the UK has been steadily increasing. Back in the 1970s and 80s it was around the low aged 70s. By 1990 it was hitting mid to high aged 70s, and by 2019 the average figure was aged 80 or above. Even now with all the pandemic there might have been a slow down or stagnation but you still at such level.

Add on the fact that there has been significant change as to when people join the workforce. Let's compare how many people back in the 70s and 80s left school at 15/16 and straight into work.  Now, at least for the past two decades we have had significantly more numbers of people going into further education, at the very least a couple of years in technical college after school or as one of the huge numbers of people going to university.  That means we have far far more people not even starting any sort of full-time work until in their 20s.

The work itself has dramatically changed, no longer are we having vast numbers of people working in dangerous life-threatening Heavy Industries. We now have advances in machinery and methods comma safety and controls with much more work being done at the press of a button or click of a mouse.  That technology advancement is showing no signs of slowing down we've even more aspects of of so-called 'grunt work' being completely humanless or human light involved operations.

It's absolutely naive to think things could just stay as they were.  

So those that did work in those conditions should keep having the goal post moved.

Total Hogwash ECCO.