What Is It With The 20% Increases On Food?

17 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I am taking some of the dramatic headlines about soaring, outrageous, unmanageable costs of food with a bit of a pinch of salt. 

You will be lucky to afford a pinch of salt the way things are going.....

2 hours ago, FoxLady said:

Forget the contents - apparently the cost of the metal containers is bound to go through the roof as well, so your can of "cheap beans" is likely to cost a good deal more!

If I stock my cupboards up now, I will beat the increase in price.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just done my weekly shopping at Asda, 4 pack of beans that were £2.00 are now £2.25 and processed peas that were 30p are now 35p

Luckily I have been stocking up on beans for a few weeks prior.

Edited by El Cid

27 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I have just done my weekly shopping at Asda, 4 pack of beans that were £2.00 are now £2.25 and processed peas that were 30p are now 35p

Luckily I have been stocking up on beans for a few weeks prior.

I was gonna say water the beanz down, make them go further and save some money at the same time, but I've just seen my water bill 🤣 🤣.

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

You need to buy the ASDA branded range of baked beans as a 4 pack is only £1.10. 

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

They contain 4% more water, I will stick with Branston

Now I know you are having a laugh especial as the water content is not stated percentage wise on the tins....... :hihi: :hihi::hihi:

But adding to that the are also better as they have less fat, sugar and salt as the Branston brand.

Edited by Dromedary

5 hours ago, Dromedary said:

Now I know you are having a laugh especial as the water content is not stated percentage wise on the tins....... :hihi: :hihi::hihi:

But adding to that the are also better as they have less fat, sugar and salt as the Branston brand.

The Branston reduced salt and sugar ones are very nice.

A price increase that caught my eye this week:  tin of Baxters vegetarian minestrone soup at Ocado.  Usual price is £1.15.  Has been on offer for the last month at 92p.  Now £1.70. 

Having a look just now it seems that all the Baxters standard range vegetarian/vegetable soups are now £1.70 and the equivalent meat/other ones are £1.20.

Tinned soups like these are way overpriced, I'm considering buying an electric soup maker.

I find major brands of beans (in tomato sauce) are too salty, wish they'd leave it out completely. When you've got accustomed to the low salt/sugar types, they become inedible.