What Is It With The 20% Increases On Food?

18 minutes ago, carosio said:

Tinned soups like these are way overpriced, I'm considering buying an electric soup maker.

I find major brands of beans (in tomato sauce) are too salty, wish they'd leave it out completely. When you've got accustomed to the low salt/sugar types, they become inedible.

Save your money.

A saucepan and a hand blender will serve you much better. Soups are so easy.

Home made beans are way cheaper and healthier and can be very tasty once you find the seasoning that you like.

You can get a 5kilo bag of dried beans for less than £15, depending upon variety and tins of tomatoes from Lidl/Aldi.

9 hours ago, Dromedary said:

Now I know you are having a laugh especial as the water content is not stated percentage wise on the tins....... :hihi: :hihi::hihi:

But adding to that the are also better as they have less fat, sugar and salt as the Branston brand.

Branston contain 4% more beans/tomatoes, so my guess is that there is 3/4% less water.

There is only 0.5% more sugar, that could be because there are more tomatoes, it does not specify added sugar.

HP have less sugar, but even more water!

Beans with zero added sugar are still listed as having 1.9g% sugar.

1 hour ago, carosio said:

Tinned soups like these are way overpriced, I'm considering buying an electric soup maker. ...

I inherited a no bells and whistles 1.6 litre one which I like very much indeed.   Not being much of a cook, I'm very proud indeed of my magnificent carrot, tomato and lentil soup recipe :D .

4 hours ago, Hecate said:

The Branston reduced salt and sugar ones are very nice.

A price increase that caught my eye this week:  tin of Baxters vegetarian minestrone soup at Ocado.  Usual price is £1.15.  Has been on offer for the last month at 92p.  Now £1.70. 

Having a look just now it seems that all the Baxters standard range vegetarian/vegetable soups are now £1.70 and the equivalent meat/other ones are £1.20.

Now! let me have a think :huh:.

Tin of Baxters Vegetarian minestrone soup £1.70  (that even if you ate 1/2 a loaf of bread don't make a meal).

Or pack of Lidl Chicken thighs (fresh) £1.67  (usually around 8 pieces)

Ok even if you add a pack of carrots 40p (use 20ps worth) and an Onion etc your still only talking £2.50p (including potatoes) for two days  worth of meals for two people 🙃.

Beanz are a strange thing as has been seen by the answers on here and why not, Heinz no longer have the monopoly and there are some very good alternatives (there are also some p*s poor ones as well 😣).

Can anyone really taste the difference of expensive baked beans from lesser costing ones? not in HTSBO's homemade Chili con carne you can't! your too busy being concerned about the roof of your mouth 🥵.

Ignore the, 4% more beans/tomatoes, 3/4% less water. 0.5% more sugar, etc, etc it all boils down to preference of taste - and why not 8)

Keep safe out there enjoy what you eat 8)

And don't forget 'Thrifty' doesn't have to mean 'bland'. 

6 hours ago, Hecate said:

The Branston reduced salt and sugar ones are very nice.

A price increase that caught my eye this week:  tin of Baxters vegetarian minestrone soup at Ocado.  Usual price is £1.15.  Has been on offer for the last month at 92p.  Now £1.70. 

Having a look just now it seems that all the Baxters standard range vegetarian/vegetable soups are now £1.70 and the equivalent meat/other ones are £1.20.

I always found that the vegetarian and vegan foods always seem to be quite more expensive than normal meat included ones. Saw some Birds Eye meat free Chicken burgers a few days which were 75% more expensive than the meat ones. I find it odd how they can call them Chicken burgers as well especially as the don't include chicken.

2 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Ignore the, 4% more beans/tomatoes, 3/4% less water. 0.5% more sugar, etc, etc it all boils down to preference of taste - and why not 8).

I concider myself wealthy enough to NOT buy on price, instead I buy what I believe is the healthiest and best value.

Some do seem to be watered down, I prefer not to buy products that contain artificial sweetener.

Surely most people are not poor enough to buy the cheapest, JUST TIGHT!

2 hours ago, Hecate said:

I inherited a no bells and whistles 1.6 litre one which I like very much indeed.   Not being much of a cook, I'm very proud indeed of my magnificent carrot, tomato and lentil soup recipe :D .

Sounds nice.  I use a 3 ltr stock pot and just a hand blender sometimes depending on whether I want a chunky or smooth consistency. I too am very proud of my Mulligatawny soup and my son and daughter in law soon polish it off with some home made bread rolls.

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Surely most people are not poor enough to buy the cheapest, JUST TIGHT!

You say that but also complain about food inflation. You make the classic big mistake of assuming that cheap is also poor quality. If you can afford the most expensive then that's fine but don't then complain about inflation with food prices when you can also save a great deal from buying cheaper items that are in most cases just as good a quality as the expensive ones.

12 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

You say that but also complain about food inflation. You make the classic big mistake of assuming that cheap is also poor quality. If you can afford the most expensive then that's fine but don't then complain about inflation with food prices when you can also save a great deal from buying cheaper items that are in most cases just as good a quality as the expensive ones.

I dont complain about Asda etc. making too much in profits, just that prices are higher.

Asda smart price beans are way cheaper than any other, is that what you buy?

I think Rockers rule buys Asda smart price beans too :)

2 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Now! let me have a think :huh:.

Tin of Baxters Vegetarian minestrone soup £1.70  (that even if you ate 1/2 a loaf of bread don't make a meal). ...

Does for lunch for me, and that's without the half a loaf of bread.  I think £1.70 for a tin of soup is taking the wee, but I'm not going to police others' shopping or cooking habits (though I might make an exception in some cases for certain generic vs branded goods).