What Is It With The 20% Increases On Food?

11 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I dont complain about Asda etc. making too much in profits, just that prices are higher.

Asda smart price beans are way cheaper than any other, is that what you buy?

I think Rockers rule buys Asda smart price beans too :)

No I buy the ASDA brand beans and not the ASDA smartprice ones.

42 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

I always found that the vegetarian and vegan foods always seem to be quite more expensive than normal meat included ones. Saw some Birds Eye meat free Chicken burgers a few days which were 75% more expensive than the meat ones. I find it odd how they can call them Chicken burgers as well especially as the don't include chicken.

Would imagine the price difference for some products is due to the cost of the ingredients and production, though of course the plant-based/vegan thing is huge and you can add a nice shiny premium for that in some cases.

Vegetarian food that attempts to replicate the taste and/or texture of the equivalent meat product to some degree is usually called something like 'chicken-free grills' or 'no-ham slices' or something.  Not always though:  Walkers smokey bacon crisps and roast chicken crisps are suitable for vegetarians.  I'm sure there's some clutch of regulations governing their naming.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

I concider myself wealthy enough to NOT buy on price, instead I buy what I believe is the healthiest and best value.

Some do seem to be watered down, I prefer not to buy products that contain artificial sweetener.

Surely most people are not poor enough to buy the cheapest, JUST TIGHT!

38 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I dont complain about Asda etc. making too much in profits, just that prices are higher.

Asda smart price beans are way cheaper than any other, is that what you buy?

I think Rockers rule buys Asda smart price beans too :)

Conveniently missing out I ended my missive  with 

Keep safe out there enjoy what you eat 8)

And don't forget 'Thrifty' doesn't have to mean 'bland'. 

The 'Wealth' of knowing I've paid £1.67p for Lidl chicken thighs and not nearly £4 for the exact same product that has an M&S label on it is 'Wealth' enough for me.

The one trick pony - 'I think Rockers buys Asda beans' has no 'wealth' or is so 'tight' he only buy inferior products' might work on other less mortals.

Keep 🎣.

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, Hecate said:

Vegetarian food that attempts to replicate the taste and/or texture of the equivalent meat product to some degree is usually called something like 'chicken-free grills' or 'no-ham slices' or something.  Not always though:  Walkers smokey bacon crisps and roast chicken crisps are suitable for vegetarians.  I'm sure there's some clutch of regulations governing their naming.

Premium quality facon sandwich, anyone?

https://waitrose.pressarea.com/pressrelease/details/78/PRODUCT NEWS_12/11703

36 minutes ago, rogets said:

Well we are thinking maybe we can't have lobster for breakfast if this carries on. 

It's hard for everyone 

Yep,there's going to have to be some cutbacks!

On 20/03/2022 at 10:01, cgksheff said:

Save your money.

A saucepan and a hand blender will serve you much better. Soups are so easy.

Home made beans are way cheaper and healthier and can be very tasty once you find the seasoning that you like.

You can get a 5kilo bag of dried beans for less than £15, depending upon variety and tins of tomatoes from Lidl/Aldi.

I agree. I use a basic liquidiser, but a hand blender will do the job just as well. 

Making soup out of leftovers, or what you've got left in the fridge is also cost effective.

Hotels do it all the time. It's called 'soup of the day.'

Edited by Anna B

3 hours ago, sibon said:

I'd try that, if Waitrose would like to send me some free samples.  The Quorn equivalent has a great flavour but unfortunately unless you smother it in oil before grilling, it ends up with the texture of crispy cardboard.

The best vege product is M&S Plant Kitchen No Beef Burgers.  Absolutely outstanding on a toasted breadcake.

1 hour ago, rogets said:

Well we are thinking maybe we can't have lobster for breakfast if this carries on. 

It's hard for everyone 

It's especially hard for people like us Rogets...

I spend money like it's going out of fashion,

I never walk anywhere, why should I when I own a big gas guzzling car, and I can travel in luxury to the local shops...

I buy top quality food, you'll not see me shopping in Poundland, Aldi, Lidl and all the other cheap shops..

I also drink excessively, last week I was at Cheltenham for the races, £14 for a Gin And Tonic, how long will it stay that cheap.

I've also had to turn the heating down in my 6 bedrooms..

It's alright for the poor people, they are experts at cutting back on things..

Us wealthy people are paying the price for this cost of living rise.