What Is It With The 20% Increases On Food?

34 minutes ago, Anna B said:

And like libraries, once closed they may never open again...

Now chlorine has been brought up it makes me wonder just how many that go swimming in chlorinated public baths are against the importation of US chlorinated chicken. You know what I mean, say no to  chlorinated chicken but then its OK to immerse oneself in it! Chlorine that is, not chicken.....:hihi:

41 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Nowt wrong with that 

You need to elaborate further. :)

Nowt wrong with chlorine, or chlorinated chicken, or closing libraries, or closing swimming baths?

Edited by Dromedary

Guest sibon
6 hours ago, Dromedary said:

Now chlorine has been brought up it makes me wonder just how many that go swimming in chlorinated public baths are against the importation of US chlorinated chicken. You know what I mean, say no to  chlorinated chicken but then its OK to immerse oneself in it! Chlorine that is, not chicken.....:hihi:

Two entirely different things, of course.

The objection to chlorinated chicken is that the process is carried out to mask poor hygiene whilst the chickens are being farmed.

A far better approach is to produce food with more care. That is the  current approach here and in the EU.

Swimming pools would be very dangerous without disinfection mechanisms. So their use  in that context is absolutely necessary.

Of course, swimming pools aren’t disinfected with chlorine anyway. And you certainly don’t “immerse yourself in chlorine” when you go for a swim, but we can leave the Chemistry lesson for another day.

Edited by sibon

9 hours ago, RJRB said:

Just to add to your woes are you aware of the shortage and escalating costs of Chlorine.

Many of us think that this will lead to closure of swimming baths for this reason and also due to the cost of heating them.

I am not saying they will but it’s actually a definite possibility.

TBH I am hoping the high cost of fuel leads Stocksbridge pool to lower the water temperature ! The temp of the latter is far better than Hillsborough (if you actually want to swim reasonably hard) but it can still get a bit warm.

Apparently the chlorine thing is short term.

2 hours ago, sibon said:

Of course, swimming pools aren’t disinfected with chlorine anyway. And you certainly don’t “immerse yourself in chlorine” when you go for a swim, but we can leave the Chemistry lesson for another day.

As far as I understood Cl compounds are used together with other chemicals to disinfect swimming pools.

Please expound.....briefly.

Guest sibon
16 minutes ago, RJRB said:

As far as I understood Cl compounds are used together with other chemicals to disinfect swimming pools.

Please expound.....briefly.

Indeed. Most commonly Calcium or Sodium Hypochlorite are used. These do some disinfecting but also release Hypochlorous Acid  which does the real heavy lifting.

Not free chlorine though, except for a bit generated by side reactions. Saying that you are swimming in chlorine is like saying that car batteries are full of sulphur.

2 minutes ago, sibon said:

Indeed. Most commonly Calcium or Sodium Hypochlorite are used. These do some disinfecting but also release Hypochlorous Acid  which does the real heavy lifting.

Not free chlorine though, except for a bit generated by side reactions. Saying that you are swimming in chlorine is like saying that car batteries are full of sulphur.

I don’t think anyone suggested that we swim in Chlorine,but we are certainly likely to have swum in Chlorinated water,together with other chemical treatments.

Guest sibon
53 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I don’t think anyone suggested that we swim in Chlorine,but we are certainly likely to have swum in Chlorinated water,together with other chemical treatments.

Maybe I’m splitting hairs a little, but the water isn’t chlorinated in any traditional sense. It is really a weakly acidic solution of several compounds in equilibrium.

I believe that YW have stopped using elemental chlorine in their water treatment plants too.

Edited by sibon