What Is It With The 20% Increases On Food?

6 hours ago, Dromedary said:

When it comes to inflation and food, which is what the original post stated, then there is no VAT charged so no extra for the government.

The orignal subject was food, and that was 49 posts ago. However, as is often the case the subject has moved   in a different direction-to neoliberalism, the free market economy, capitalism etc. Not forgetting your own contribution about free market economy, inflation and interest rates.

So, inflation in all it's form generally puts money in the government's coffers.

2 hours ago, Janus said:

So, inflation in all it's form generally puts money in the government's coffers.

They will certainly get more VAT from a 54% rise in gas prices, buy rising inflation will mean rising costs on Government debt.

Which is why the Government are now force to increase interest rates, because high inflation could otherwise last for many, many months.

The government paid £8.1 billion in interest in December, 200 per cent higher than the £2.7 billion bill in the previous year, according to estimates from the Office for National Statistics.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/inflation-pushes-government-debt-interest-payments-to-december-record-high-lvs7007pf

4 hours ago, Janus said:

No as is then offset by the increase in rising government debt and other government costs because of rising inflation, see the above post, so one is a positive and one is a negative.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from Asda and their snax which are like Pringles used to be 89p. They had been out of stock for a while but they had them back in on Monday when I bought a pack and were 93p, today they are £1.10, a rise of over 18% since Monday.

32 minutes ago, iansheff said:

I just got back from Asda and their snax which are like Pringles used to be 89p. They had been out of stock for a while but they had them back in on Monday when I bought a pack and were 93p, today they are £1.10, a rise of over 18% since Monday.

Apparently they were discontinued some years ago and then re-launched recently with a price tag of £1 and now its gone to £1.10. I think ASDA since being taken over have increased prices across the board and not only due to inflation. That way then can then "roll back" prices on some good and make them seem a bargain. HGV drivers wages have shot up and so has fuel costs so they need to recoup that somehow.

13 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Apparently they were discontinued some years ago and then re-launched recently with a price tag of £1 and now its gone to £1.10. I think ASDA since being taken over have increased prices across the board and not only due to inflation. That way then can then "roll back" prices on some good and make them seem a bargain. HGV drivers wages have shot up and so has fuel costs so they need to recoup that somehow.

They all do that Mr. Drom..

Can't sell salmon at £2-50 a tin....

Put it up to £4 a tin for a few weeks, then slash the price back to £2-50,  it then flies of the shelves....

45 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

They seemed to stop having them in stock when the pandemic hit and took a while to get them back on the shelves, I used to buy them rather than crisps. I looked on the website to see if their bags of crisps have gone up but I am pretty certain they are the still same price as the last time I bought some months ago.

Whenever there is an excuse for prices to rise such as the pandemic or shortages of materials companies make the most of it, it will be interesting to see how much the profits of supermarkets have increased by.

Edited by iansheff

As Janus said in the original post, almost everything seems to be creeping up by a few pence every time you go out shopping, but some prices seem to increase dramatically overnight. Recent examples of this I've come across are a 200g jar of Kenco instant coffee has been £4.50 in Tesco for months - then suddenly increased to £6 per jar. My local Lidl has charged 50p for a 1-pint/560ml bottle of milk for months - then it suddenly increased to 60p.

Another thing that irritates me is that the big supermarkets take out full page adverts in the national press trumpeting their special offers - yet when you go in these supermarkets, they've never got any of these special offers on sale.. They always claim to have had a rush on and sold out - but I often think it's just a trick to lure us in, so that we'll spend money in that shop, even when they haven't got what we specifically went in for. Asda recently offered packs of 26 Birds Eye fish fingers for £3. Seemed like a good buy, as the same pack of fish fingers was £4.75 in Iceland - but I went in Asda four or five days on the trot - and they  never had them in stock.