Captain Tom Foundation Under Investigation

54 minutes ago, El Cid said:

He raised all the money because of all the publicity and those that supported him. He did the walk and had a number one hit record.

He was 100 years old, he can do very little for himself, he is not tech savy. No one has been found guilty of anything.

...all of which was pushed by his PR-hungry daughter. Why do you think he even made the news in the first place?

Disgusting taking advantage of an 100 year old man like that, and even more disgusting dragging his across the Atlantic in his dotage and essentially killing him.

5 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Fair enough. She runs a marketing company. She essentially marketed her 99/100 year old man as a gimmick to raise money, seeming for her company as well as charity. She wasnt stupid. Dragged him on a free holiday thousands of miles made him miss getting jabbed, at a time people were advised (not illegal at that point) not to go abroad.

And then after he died did her best to keep him in the public eye in more efforts to get attention. I mean look at this from Xmas just gone, some b0llox about a mystery Xmas present

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2021-12-22/family-find-mystery-present-from-captain-tom-to-open-this-christmas

Sooner she vanishes the better.   But it seems the above isnt a popular point of view because of reasons (something something war hero something NHS)

See I didn't know any of that. I just meant what did she do for a living.

Thankyou for the information.

6 hours ago, bassett one said:

maybe i am stupid,but like many more thought ALL THE CASH went direct to the hospitals,via the goverment,did not realise there was fees going elsewhere ,i like most thought what a nice wealthy family ,doing a great job for covid,even if no wrong doing its wrong to be taking huge amounts out,if people had known they would not of given the cash,just donated cash direct,bet toms turning in his grave

I suppose that's why there's going to be an enquiry. 

Sadly there is a lot of money to be made out of charity, it's now a business and also a good tax dodge. It often doesn't all get to the intended people.

Only today there's a piece in the paper about a very famous model whose charity spent 1.6 million on glitzy, champagne fuelled parties but only donated £200,000 to the charity.  

And don't ask me why Eton College is a charity...?

Edited by Anna B

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I can be as nice as you want . Why have you started a thread yet not given an opinion or point of view ?

Seeing as you asked so nice and despite your previous (and lame) attempt at baiting me. 

Quite simply I don't have a firm opinion about it. 

I don't know enough about the situation. 

I posted the topic to generate conversation. That's what forums are about. 

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

The daughter should be the next Prime Minister if she is as clever as you think she is.

Better to invite Captain Tom into the family home rather and take him on a family holidays rather than put him in a care home.  I doubt very much he was taken advantage of by his family. Captain Tom enjoyed all the attention.

Did he? How do we know that?

IMO he had absolutely no say in anything that happened.

On 12/02/2022 at 16:52, FoxLady said:

From what I've read, out of the the millions he/they raised, only 4 'donations' have been made so far, each of £40k.

Not "out of the millions".

This issue is only dealing with first set of accounts during which £1.1 million was raised.

You will have to wait for later accounts to see what has happened to the £38+ million raised.

Edited by cgksheff