Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

15 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

It did. Russia withdrew from Afghanistan.

The risk is that the same powers who were happy to keep the war in Afghanistan going as long as possible to hurt Russia will do the same in Ukraine, when what we want is the fighting to stop and people to be able to get back to normal(ish) as soon as possible. I very much hope that doesn't happen.

I'm sickened by the scenes we are witnessing.

It's time for NATO to step in and help those brave Ukrainians .

Putin must be stopped and removed, then put on trial for war crimes..

My thoughts are with Ukraine in there darkest hour..

This carnage must be stopped.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Padders said:

I'm sickened by the scenes we are witnessing.

It's time for NATO to step in and help those brave Ukrainians .

Putin must be stopped and removed, then put on trial for war crimes..

My thoughts are with Ukraine in there darkest hour..

This carnage must be stopped.

No it’s not time to step in - unless you want to be turned to ashes - or if you’re unlucky collecting chestnuts in a dried out cat skull.

Edited by makapaka

2 hours ago, Delbow said:

Explain then

Other posters have explained  . The rules brought in are not as draconian as you think. Liberty will say they are but they would wouldn’t they . Back on topic please 

Edited by hackey lad

The Soviet Union is no more, it isn’t needed let alone wanted, something of the like of the current state of affairs in the Ukraine was just a matter of time. We allowed Hitler to do as he liked, until it was obvious that the U.K. and it’s Empire we’re on his ‘must have’ wish list. We then stood back post WW2 and allowed Stalin to do similar, we are now a weak satellite of the USA, that is run by a weak incompetent 79 year old, the Russians know how and when to pick their time.

The NATO nation members need to speak with one voice, and if necessary strike with a single fist, or do we wait for them to march into Poland?

22 hours ago, Waldo said:

We were clearly talking about conditions which precipitated the war. So, before the invasion took place; NATO was going east, Putin wasn't going west.

Did you watch the video Mafya linked to?

I’m aware, and yes. It’s still just the same apologist theme and discourse.

If Putin didn’t want ex-USSR democracies to seek NATO membership as insurance against exactly what is happening now in Ukraine, and happened before in Chechnya, Kazakhstan, Georgia, Syria, Crimea, the Donbass, etc.

then Putin could have steered away from his ever more authoritarian ways: these Russian land grabs and meddling over the years are what prompted all these countries to seek NATO membership.

Why did he not ‘go west’ like the EU ‘went east’? Could it be that it’s because he’s long embodied the absolute anti-thesis of what western democratic values are and stand for? Why should his authoritarianism be accommodated by letting him ‘go west’ through subjugation, rather than through example?

Unlike Facebook-, RT-, Sputnik- etc. -gaslit westerners, very many east Europeans have functioning memories and critical thinking capacities. NATO is a not a club you are invited to, it’s a club you must apply to join.

Nothing else precipitated this war in Ukraine, than Putin’s fascistic choices. Rest assured that there will be a reckoning, for him, his circle and his enablers, in Russia and beyond. History tells us that.

49 minutes ago, cressida said:

Is the problem that Russia believes that if Ukraine joins NATO and the other ex-Soviet countries follow suit then Russia may have be  surrounded by USA bases?

Look at a map, Cressida:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia–NATO_relations#/media/File:NATO_vs_CSTO.jpg

How is Russia “surrounded” by anyone?

Edited by L00b

25 minutes ago, crookesey said:

The Soviet Union is no more, it isn’t needed let alone wanted, something of the like of the current state of affairs in the Ukraine was just a matter of time. We allowed Hitler to do as he liked, until it was obvious that the U.K. and it’s Empire we’re on his ‘must have’ wish list. We then stood back post WW2 and allowed Stalin to do similar, we are now a weak satellite of the USA, that is run by a weak incompetent 79 year old, the Russians know how and when to pick their time.

The NATO nation members need to speak with one voice, and if necessary strike with a single fist, or do we wait for them to march into Poland?

They say it’s one of the reasons Russia decided to invade Ukraine because America has a weak government.  I’m not sure if it would have made a difference who ever was President.

We now have North Korea testing missiles like  there’s no tomorrow, which I find very frightening.  Would they have carried on testing if Trump was still President? I thought Trump stoped North Korea from carrying out more tests?

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/north-korea-fires-suspected-ballistic-missile-sea-83261739

14 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Would they have carried on testing if Trump was still President? I thought Trump stoped North Korea from carrying out more tests?

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/north-korea-fires-suspected-ballistic-missile-sea-83261739

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_Korean_missile_tests

North Korea continued making and testing missiles throughout the entirety of Trumps presidency, developing a new class of cruise missile in that time.

37 minutes ago, L00b said:

I’m aware, and yes. It’s still just the same apologist theme and discourse.

If Putin didn’t want ex-USSR democracies to seek NATO membership as insurance against exactly what is happening now in Ukraine, and happened before in Chechnya, Kazakhstan, Georgia, Syria, Crimea, the Donbass, etc.

then Putin could have steered away from his ever more authoritarian ways: these Russian land grabs and meddling over the years are what prompted all these countries to seek NATO membership.

Why did he not ‘go west’ like the EU ‘went east’? Could it be that it’s because he’s long embodied the absolute anti-thesis of what western democratic values are and stand for? Why should his authoritarianism be accommodated by letting him ‘go west’ through subjugation, rather than through example?

Unlike Facebook-, RT-, Sputnik- etc. -gaslit westerners, very many east Europeans have functioning memories and critical thinking capacities. NATO is a not a club you are invited to, it’s a club you must apply to join.

Nothing else precipitated this war in Ukraine, than Putin’s fascistic choices. Rest assured that there will be a reckoning, for him, his circle and his enablers, in Russia and beyond. History tells us that.

Look at a map, Cressida:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia–NATO_relations#/media/File:NATO_vs_CSTO.jpg

How is Russia “surrounded” by anyone?

"surrounded" not the word I grant you,  but close enough to worry him