Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

10 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

And the irony is that they disarmed their nukes and signed a pact with Russia saying Russia would never attack them. 

Exactly, thats the Budapest Memorandum.

Putin hinting at their use, dissuades the west from getting involved; but it also clarifies to all and sundry, the importance and value of having nukes.

I fear Putin has made the world a far more dangerous place.

Edited by Waldo

4 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Exactly, thats the Budapest Memorandum.

Putin hinting at their use, dissuades the west from getting involved; but it also clarifies to all and sundry, the importance and value of having nukes.

I fear Putin has made the world a far more dangerous place.

Yes I agree with you.  Especially about Putin making the world a more dangerous place.  

40 minutes ago, rogets said:

In the pub yesterday we all agreed more needs to be done

People need to be prepared to do more, too many armchair warriors these days

I am trying to do my bit.

I turn the heating off in the day (I am lucky to work from home) and only put it on for 1hr in the morning and 3hrs in the evening.

I have turned the thermostat down to 17 degrees and sit under a blanket.

I don't mind shivering...it is good for the soul, plus I reckon it also helps me lose weight, which is a benefit for my blood pressure.

I turn off all the lights not in use...and have shutdown most of the computer servers in my house used for my day job.

I only use the car to drive once a week to the supermarket.

I will holiday in the UK again this year (and have been all through COVID)...but unfortunately will need to use my car for that.

I walk or ride my bicycle down the town on Saturdays if I need to get something.

I have cut a large part of my spending (I am trying to wind down to retirement anyway and clear my mortgage)...and if I do need to buy anything to replace something that breaks...I read the label and won't buy if made in China (who could stop this war...but choose not to)...even if it costs more.

That is all I can do really. Not much, but if as many people as possible try to do as much as they can, then it may have an effect.

We are basically at war with these scumbags.

I can't get that photo of that poor woman and her two teenagers cut down by Russian mortars the other day, out of my head.

We need to pull together like we did at the start of COVID and try to do what we can to resist these animals.

Edited by crazyhorse

so everywhere you look it looks like all the commentators are saying they are going to use chemical weapons, well they are taking a battering and losing men and machines left, right and centre lol.

And using the excuse of blaming the US / West for it, or creating a false flag event, so they can justify it to their people :(

On 08/03/2022 at 10:44, Anna B said:

Do you think the people are corrupt, or just the ones in charge?

I believe a lot of ordinary Russian people have been totally disillusioned since the fall of communism to see the rise of the oligarchs, corruption and malfeasance endemic at the top.

I think a lot of them want to go back to the old way of life they used to know. 

Ah! Good old communism?

The Russian people, like China, the Middle East, N.Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, et al  have been brainwashed into believing that the "Imperialistic U.S." is the Greatest Threat to World Peace, and they and their proxies, are moving to their very doorstep.

It's a once popular narrative that ironically has died down in the West, now  Biden and the far left are in charge.

Now it's Russia who is the Great Satan.

America is now the World's Great Force for good, (once again!)  :)

28 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Ah! Good old communism?

The Russian people, like China, the Middle East, N.Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, et al  have been brainwashed into believing that the "Imperialistic U.S." is the Greatest Threat to World Peace, and they and their proxies, are moving to their very doorstep.

It's a once popular narrative that ironically has died down in the West, now  Biden and the far left are in charge.

Now it's Russia who is the Great Satan.

America is now the World's Great Force for good, (once again!)  :)

All of these countries “with populations brainwashed into believing that the Imperialistic US is the Greatest Threat to World Peace” are autocracies, many outrightly fascistic.

Funny that 😏

On the topic of “doing”, our family Merc is getting fully serviced this week, to be gifted to a local Ukrainian association at the weekend, which does refugee-fetching runs to Poland and Romania.

We’re discussing, as a family, whether to offer a refugee child a home ‘for the duration’, however long that is. In the meantime we’ve registered with that Ukrainian association as a transit host (accommodate incoming refugees for days/couple of weeks, while more permanent accommodation gets sorted by social services, so they don’t have to camp in a gymnasium or whatnot). Now waiting to hear further.

We also have a couple of travel seats to the UK available on 8th April, if anyone knows Ukrainians in need of a lift (subject to UK visa, if they’re still in force by then). I can drop them off anywhere on the way between Dover and Sheffield, along the M20/A1.

Edited by L00b

34 minutes ago, L00b said:

All of these countries “with populations brainwashed into believing that the Imperialistic US is the Greatest Threat to World Peace” are autocracies, many outrightly fascistic.

Funny that 😏

On the topic of “doing”, our family Merc is getting fully serviced this week, to be gifted to a local Ukrainian association at the weekend, which does refugee-fetching runs to Poland and Romania.

We’re discussing, as a family, whether to offer a refugee child a home ‘for the duration’, however long that is. In the meantime we’ve registered with that Ukrainian association as a transit host (accommodate incoming refugees for days/couple of weeks, while more permanent accommodation gets sorted by social services, so they don’t have to camp in a gymnasium or whatnot). Now waiting to hear further.

We also have a couple of travel seats to the UK available on 8th April, if anyone knows Ukrainians in need of a lift (subject to UK visa, if they’re still in force by then). I can drop them off anywhere on the way between Dover and Sheffield, along the M20/A1.

Thats very nice of you and your family :thumbsup: but please remember ( I’m sure you do ) that many people are not in a position to do such nice things 

11 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Thats very nice of you and your family :thumbsup: but please remember ( I’m sure you do ) that many people are not in a position to do such nice things 

I don’t judge anyone else based on how much they help, or even whether they help at all.

We do these things because, up to 2 weeks ago or so, Ukrainians were living just like you and I. Literally. And God forbid, in a month’s time, in a year’s time, it could well be us. Pay it forward.

We do these things, because there is little to no difference between Russia’s war of aggression in Ukraine, and Germany’s war of agression in 1938-1940 and, were we around then, knowing what we know now, would we have taken in kids fresh off the Kindertransports? Well what do you think.

I do these things, because my grandfather’s entire family were made refugees overnight in September 1940, when the Nazis force-evicted them, until 1945.

Everybody does whatever they do, for their own reasons, within their own means. Just so long as we all do enough.

Edited by L00b