Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

12 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

There’s reports that Putin has asked China to provide military assistance.  Let us hope if these reports are true China has refused to get involved.  

I hope so,let's hope they think we'll boycott Chinas goods if they help.

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

Yeah, happy times eh... it's horrible but people have to know what's at stake, and the stakes have never been higher.

Yet I hear people calling for war and escalation every day. 

I wonder if those calling for war would be the first to go and fight or send their children, or would they expect others to get killed and maimed.

26 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

I hope so,let's hope they think we'll boycott Chinas goods if they help.

There is certainly enough Chinese goods in this country.  I was trying to avoid buying a tin opener that was made in China last year, I couldn’t find one.  In the end bought a cheap one from Asda because even the more expensive ones were made in China.  If we get over this Ukrainian war Government needs  to look at making this country less independent on foreign goods even if it costs more in the short term.  

Edited by hauxwell

I remember Russia (USSR) invading Afghanistan in 1980 and bombing them with cruse missiles. There was danger that Israel (with nuclear weapons) would get involved but they didn't, ( because of diplomatic discussions and perhaps a pay off?)

Eventually Russia realised they couldn't do it and had to withdraw.  

6 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

There is certainly enough Chinese goods in this country.  I was trying to avoid buying a tin opener that was made in China last year, I couldn’t find one.  In the end bought a cheap one from Asda because even the more expensive ones were made in China.  If we get over this Ukrainian war Government needs  to look at making this country less independent on foreign goods even if it costs more in the short term.  

China is between a rock and a hard place with their new buddies and they certainly don’t want the sanctions Russia has got. I agree we should cut our reliance on China’s imports but it will be hard work. I recently started closely examining packaging on goods and it’s amazing just how much comes from China. My lad recently bought a decent socket set from a well known brand. The packaging listed a business park in the UK, a parent company in mainland Europe then in the small print “Made in China “. Even the Covid test kits in our house are made there so it will be hard work to wean ourselves off our addiction to cheap Chinese imports.

4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I remember Russia (USSR) invading Afghanistan in 1980 and bombing them with cruse missiles. There was danger that Israel (with nuclear weapons) would get involved but they didn't, ( because of diplomatic discussions and perhaps a pay off?)

Eventually Russia realised they couldn't do it and had to withdraw.  

Also the fact that their Hind helicopter gunships were getting shot down by western supplied Stingers just as they are now.

10 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

.... and that's the crux of the problem. Nowhere near enough consumers prepared to pay the real costs of British made British sourced British material goods.

We are all total hypocrites.   We protest and demand fair day's wage for a fair days work, but at the same time more than happy to enjoy the spoils of an abundance of cheap foreign goods made by someone earning pennies an hour.....

.....We show pity to those poorer Eastern European nations with our slacktivism and retweeting of inspirational messages, whilst at the same time quietly bemoaning that our dirt cheap city break, stag do and beer consuming holiday destinations are suspended from our travel plans.

We show plenty of sympathy for the current refugee crisis with lots of placard waving outside our local town halls, but at the same time sitting  back expecting other countries to deal with the realities of it.

As with all these things, yes there may well be a small number us willing to go that extra mile but for the much larger majority, when push comes to shove,  the natural selfish instinct in all of us takes over.

29 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

tbh sometimes the more expensive one might be better? if it lasts longer? otherwise you might be 3 or 4 items instead of the one?

8 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

.... and that's the crux of the problem. Nowhere near enough consumers prepared to pay the real costs of British made British sourced British material goods.

We are all total hypocrites.   We protest and demand fair day's wage for a fair days work, but at the same time more than happy to enjoy the spoils of an abundance of cheap foreign goods made by someone earning pennies an hour.....

.....We show pity to those poorer Eastern European nations with our slacktivism and retweeting of inspirational messages, whilst at the same time quietly bemoaning that our dirt cheap city break, stag do and beer consuming holiday destinations are suspended from our travel plans.

We show plenty of sympathy for the current refugee crisis with lots of placard waving outside our local town halls, but at the same time sitting  back expecting other countries to deal with the realities of it.

As with all these things, yes there may well be a small number us willing to go that extra mile but for the much larger majority, when push comes to shove,  the natural selfish instinct in all of us takes over.

indeed

17 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yes I agree with you about being selfish, I’ll even include myself in that one.  Look at  how petrol has  gone up in price some of it due to the Ukrainian war, people don’t like it but have accepted  it.  Yes we grumble at the price, me included but people understand why.  So the natural instinct might not always take over.