Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

2 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

During the Covid the pandemic I didn't like people saying "keep safe" to me, I didn't want to be safe I wanted to be normal.

What reminded me of that was radio presenters interviewing Ukrainians. These people are rightly lauding the Ukrainians fighting to save their country and their freedom, but when the interviews are over nearly all of the presenters (on both R4 and Talkradio) say "stay safe". And I'm thinking that's rather at odds with you saying the Ukrainians are to be praised and encouraged for their heroic resistance. If they really think they should "stay safe" they should surrender (not that I think they should obviously).

"Stay safe", what that really means is "give in", to either Covid or the Russians.....

No it dosent . Stop looking for problems

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

During the Covid the pandemic I didn't like people saying "keep safe" to me, I didn't want to be safe I wanted to be normal.

What reminded me of that was radio presenters interviewing Ukrainians. These people are rightly lauding the Ukrainians fighting to save their country and their freedom, but when the interviews are over nearly all of the presenters (on both R4 and Talkradio) say "stay safe". And I'm thinking that's rather at odds with you saying the Ukrainians are to be praised and encouraged for their heroic resistance. If they really think they should "stay safe" they should surrender (not that I think they should obviously).

"Stay safe", what that really means is "give in", to either Covid or the Russians.....

no it doesnt, stay safe also means, do what youre doing but try not to die, or get shot or whatever

by the way your first line speaks volumes about your constant covid whinging " I didnt want to be safe, i wanted to be normal" :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, L00b said:

Well, talk about “when the shoe is on the other foot” 😏

Putin knows only too well the power of Facebook in politics.

Theyve blocked twitter too now, and already blocked youtube, the BBC have had to stop servicing inside Russia too or their employees may get 15 years in jail

16 hours ago, melthebell said:

And the brainwashing by Russian state propaganda seems to be working

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60600487

Perhaps. I’m sure it’s working with some. The article presents a small and statistically meaningless sample size. To get an accurate picture, you’d need to poll 1,000’s of Russians on their views of what’s happening in Ukraine.

The curious thing about state run propaganda, and this happens all around the world; from the point of view of the individual, it’s always only other countries who have biased, state run propaganda machines...

I’m not sure how much it would help if we (little people) mass adopted decentralised social media, as a way of communicating directly with each other, i.e. all people around the world, directly in touch and sharing information, cutting out the middle man (government bias).

It’s a nice idea, but you can bet your bottom dollar our rulers would infiltrate such networks with armies of influencer trolls (much like what happens with the current generation of social media we have now). What really needs to happen, is to educate people to be more discerning and able to spot propaganda and bias for themselves.

Edited by Waldo

6 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

The Russians have called a cease fire in 2 big cities and created  corridors for people to leave. Is this a humanitarian thing or is he giving himself more time to get more equipment in ukraine.

I would think there are certainly some strategic considerations.

If no population are embedded within a city, perhaps less reason for Ukraine to defend it?

Also, if all regular citizens have left, the Russians may assume anyone remaining, is more likely to be resistance.