Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

Chekhov said: During the Covid the pandemic I didn't like people saying "keep safe" to me, I didn't want to be safe I wanted to be normal.

What reminded me of that was radio presenters interviewing Ukrainians. These people are rightly lauding the Ukrainians fighting to save their country and their freedom, but when the interviews are over nearly all of the presenters (on both R4 and Talkradio) say "stay safe". And I'm thinking that's rather at odds with you saying the Ukrainians are to be praised and encouraged for their heroic resistance. If they really think they should "stay safe" they should surrender (not that I think they should obviously).

"Stay safe", what that really means is "give in", to either Covid or the Russians.....

13 hours ago, hackey lad said:

No it dosent . Stop looking for problems

That's exactly what it means, but, I note that, though you say you disagree with me you have not said why you think I am wrong.

1 hour ago, Kidorry said:

The Russians have called a cease fire in 2 big cities and created  corridors for people to leave. Is this a humanitarian thing or is he giving himself more time to get more equipment in ukraine.

Probably the second.

There have been circumstantial reports for the last 2 days, of Russian military hardware getting shipped westbound from as far away as Khabarovsk (😲). Russia has got to start getting desperate, to be shipping khaki stuff from easternmost Siberia. Belarus keeping ahold of its military (assuming reports about that are true, but official intelligence confirms it so far) instead of committing it to Ukraine, must be another factor. The Wagner Group is also coming up from Syria via Armenia (still reportedly).

There are also mounting, concurring opinions by military experts analyzing equipment photographs, that the reason we see so much Russian military hardware abandoned/towed by Ukrainian farmers, is because it gets borked before getting to the front line, through lack of preventative maintenance (catastrophic failure of tyre sidewalls, bearings seizures, etc. through lack of periodic rotation, and use of poor quality spares (e.g. Belarusian copies of Michelin military tyres)).

Edited by L00b

2 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Chekhov said: During the Covid the pandemic I didn't like people saying "keep safe" to me, I didn't want to be safe I wanted to be normal.

What reminded me of that was radio presenters interviewing Ukrainians. These people are rightly lauding the Ukrainians fighting to save their country and their freedom, but when the interviews are over nearly all of the presenters (on both R4 and Talkradio) say "stay safe". And I'm thinking that's rather at odds with you saying the Ukrainians are to be praised and encouraged for their heroic resistance. If they really think they should "stay safe" they should surrender (not that I think they should obviously).

"Stay safe", what that really means is "give in", to either Covid or the Russians.....

That's exactly what it means, but, I note that, though you say you disagree with me you have not said why you think I am wrong.

Don't bring your personal issues to this thread.

Edited by cgksheff

12 hours ago, melthebell said:

no it doesnt, stay safe also means, do what youre doing but try not to die, or get shot or whatever

by the way your first line speaks volumes about your constant covid whinging " I didnt want to be safe, i wanted to be normal" :rolleyes:

You cannot stay safe and fight the Russians, or anyone else, to suggest you can is ludicrous. So, to say to a Ukrianian fighter "stay safe" is actually asking them to stop fighting.

On a wider point, which is what I was alluding to, you cannot "stay safe", as in lower your risk of death or injury to as close to zero as possible, and live a normal life. This is what many people could not grasp during the Covid pandemic.

If someone says "Stay safe" it means "look after yourself as we are concerned for your safety."

Looks like Finland are after joining NATO but as very dependant on energy supplies from Russia. I think that is "being caught in between a rock and a hard place" as they say.

I have some Op Grapple (1993- 1995)  green PLCE if anyone is going back to Ukraine to fight and needs some kit. No weapons or armour, I had to hand them back.

3 minutes ago, cgksheff said:

Don't bring your personal issues to this thread.

I think that is just about the most pointless post on any thread I have ever read.

And it's not answering the, admittedly unanswerable, question.

1 minute ago, Findlay said:

If someone says "Stay safe" it means "look after yourself as we are concerned for your safety."

Looks like Finland are after joining NATO but as very dependant on energy supplies from Russia. I think that is "being caught in between a rock and a hard place" as they say.

I have some Op Grapple (1993- 1995)  green PLCE if anyone is going back to Ukraine to fight and needs some kit. No weapons or armour, I had to hand them back.

If one is concerned for someone's safety saying "stay safe" is inappropriate certainly to someone choosing to go and fight in a war, as that is a direct plea to avoid doing anything dangerous.

Personally I cannot think of anything much more dangerous than fighting the Russians, particularly as an untrained combatant. Not that I would try to dissuade them, you have to stand up for what you believe in.

5 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I think that is just about the most pointless post on any thread I have ever read.

And it's not answering the, admittedly unanswerable, question.

I don't go for superlatives, but maybe the second most?

Stay safe out there.