Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

18 hours ago, Zinger549 said:

So are you suggesting the USA starts WW3? You think Trump bombing Moscow would've helped.

He didn't bomb Moscow.

But he thteatened to if they invaded Ukraine again!

It's called deterrence!

Look it up!

8 minutes ago, melthebell said:

TBH I think his time is up I'm seeing so many reports of people not happy with it.

So many leaving Russia, so many arrested protesting, even top brass speaking out, it's only a matter of time.

I think the tactic of going after the oligarchs with sanctions may pay off; pull the rug (support) from under him. He looks a bit stressed and unsettled when you see him in recent videos, not looking good for him.

There's a saying in chess (probably not just in chess), along the lines of "The threat is more powerful than the execution". From a strategic point of view; you'd think he's just use the threat of an invasion as negotiation leverage; but no.

I think you may be right though, the thing you mentioned on another thread, regarding the extent to which the Russian people are buying his narrative. I think this kind of thing (state manipulation of public opinion, limiting what information people have access to, etc) is big big problem that we should be addressing globally, all people. I guess it doesn't help though, that we all speak different languages; but I'd like to see systems in place that facilitate free flow of information between all people, and if we can limit state capacity to manipulate and drive narrative, that surely has to be a good thing.

17 hours ago, Anna B said:

To be honest I don't think Putin would have gone into Ukraine in the first place if Trump was still in office.

He would have realised Trump was unstable / mad enough to use/retaliate with nuclear weapons. And the rules of mutually  assured destruction would have prevailed.

He sees Biden and the west as weak so he was prepared to take the risk. 

Some of us have figured out the obvious, Anna.

You can bet Putin did too!  :)

Others wll keep making excuses, or blaming the other guy, and history will repeat.

Human nature!

The strong slaughter the weak for dinner!

How was YOUR chicken last night?

5 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

I never said he did. But Putin isn't sacred of Trump.

So after starting under Obama/Biden with the first bite of Ulraine, why do you think he waited 4 years for Biden to get into office?

Edited by trastrick

5 minutes ago, trastrick said:

So after starting under Obama/Biden with the first bite of Ulraine, why do you think he waited 4 years for Biden to get into office?

He had Trump in his back pocket. Trump wanted to build in Moscow so.

5 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

He had Trump in his back pocket. Trump wanted to build in Moscow so.

Ah, so THAT's it!  :)

Putin wanted a TRump hotel, more than he wanted Ukraine? Or what?

Edited by trastrick

5 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

There is a lot of reporting about the Russian army offensive but not much about the Ukranian army defending the country.

Why is this ?

You're watching the wrong news reports?