Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

13 hours ago, melthebell said:

Former labour leader Jeremy Corbyns views

I can agree with much of what he says. However, the ideological talk fails to state what must be done, quickly, to stop what is going on, today.

Edited by cgksheff

15 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I have heard people saying NATO should intervene.

If NATO did get involved would that make NATO countries legitimate targets.

This could result in the UK coming under attack.

I’m one of those who thinks NATO should not intervene.  I also thought   President Biden said that  if Russia uses chemical weapons the USA will not get involved but I could be wrong about that. Heaven knows what the outcome will be. 
I’m curious to know how long it would take a nuclear bomb to reach us if it is fired from Russia.  After the chemical attacks in Salisbury I have no doubt that we would be at the top of Putin’s list if NATO does decide to get involved. 

Edited by hauxwell

I don't think NATO should get involved in a direct fight with Russia unless they invade a NATO member country. But I think we should be giving the Ukrainians maximum support short of that : as many arms as they want, as much humanitarian aid as possible, and imposing the absolute maximum in economic sanctions regardless of the cost to us. We should be doing all this for altruistic reason but also for ourselves, Putin is mad and there is no telling what he'll do if he "wins". Ukraine is fighting for itself, but also for us.

43 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I’m one of those who thinks NATO should not intervene.  I also thought   President Biden said that  if Russia uses chemical weapons the USA will not get involved but I could be wrong about that. Heaven knows what the outcome will be. 
I’m curious to know how long it would take a nuclear bomb to reach us if it is fired from Russia.  After the chemical attacks in Salisbury I have no doubt that we would be at the top of Putin’s list if NATO does decide to get involved. 

If Russia uses chemical weapons, a UN resolution can send in other countries.

Doesn't have to be under the NATO flag.

If Russia attacks anything in Poland e.g. aid deliveries, then NATO will be in

Edited by cgksheff

29 minutes ago, cgksheff said:

If Russia uses chemical weapons, a UN resolution can send in other countries.

Doesn't have to be under the NATO flag.

If Russia attacks anything in Poland e.g. aid deliveries, then NATO will be in

So if the UN intervenes would it make their member countries at war with Russia ?

17 hours ago, harvey19 said:

So if the UN intervenes would it make their member countries at war with Russia ?

No. They would just undertake some reciprocal "special operations".

To be honest, anyone that thinks that Russia is not at war against all the west is in for a rude awakening.

Edited by cgksheff

16 minutes ago, cgksheff said:

No. They would just undertake some reciprocal "special operations".

To be honest, anyone that thinks that Russia is not at war against all the west is in for s rude awakening.

Why do you think Russia is at war with the west ?

I presumed that when we left BAOR and the Berlin Wall came down the threat from the Warsaw Pact countries was no longer a serious threat.