Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

WW3 is in nobody's best interest, in fact in nobody's interest at all to start WW3. It would be the end of civilisation as we know it. The politicians seem to be doing all they can to avoid escalating it. 

You think WW3 would be bad.

How bad would it be if Russia stopping supplying the West with gas and oil?

11 minutes ago, melthebell said:

and this one is a little bit scary if we happened to be attacked, we save money by having a small amount of RAF and naval bases, and rely on too much exports

After watching that I want to go to the supermarket and stock up on food  :)  :)

42 minutes ago, L00b said:

Everything. Isolate Russia to North Korean levels /worse than. Expel all Russian diplomats and close their embassies. Stop supplying anything whatsoever to Russia. Stop buying anything whatsoever from Russia. Build that ‘Mexican wall’, but around Russia and make sure the Russians known it’s not coming down until Ukraine is freed and patched up, and their own house in a better order. And in the meantime supply Ukraine with every last bullet, helmet, aid pack, etc. that it needs to keep up the fight, and look after its refugees.

Unlike North Koreans and Iranians, the Russians have known western standards of living, culture, consumption, aspirations…take it all away from them (as we are already doing, tbh) but harder still and much faster. Then see how long a civil war takes to light up / the oligarchs and generals invite Putin for ‘special tea’.

Putin cannot possibly turn 2022 Russia into 1942 Germany within a couple of months. Something’s gotta give. The harder we push -short of a shooting war- the sooner that give.

What happens if Hitler (Putin) decides go beyond Poland (Ukraine)?

If Russia stops the supply, we’ll be cold for a month until Spring is here, and we may have to take the bus/tram/pushbike a bit more often.

Now then. What happens when Europe stops buying much of that supply?

That will now happen far, far sooner than Putin/Russia expected, and so that’s another massive miscalculation by Putin. Rest assured Europeans who got themselves suckered away from nuclear into Vlad’s LNG arms have learnt that lesson.

Thank you for a very interesting answer.

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Who by? 

WW3 is in nobody's best interest, in fact in nobody's interest at all to start WW3. It would be the end of civilisation as we know it. The politicians seem to be doing all they can to avoid escalating it. 

I agree with all that. People should also read up on the history of Ukraine since 2010 or so and understand why Putin has done what he has in the first place. He wants to take back control, sorry but I borrowed that bit from the EU referendum blurb. Part of that is directly linked to the EU who want to integrate ex-soviet countries into their big club. Far from being the peacemaker it makes itself out to be its the EU that have also contributed to this current war, a war that has been on the cards for many years.

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

Russia might be doing a bit of brainwashing and scaremongering with his threats of using nuclear weapons but I don’t think the West is. 
I don’t know if Putin has children, if he has he should be ashamed of himself threatening the world with his bombs that could destroy mankind and his family.

This is a classic example of all things wrong as Putin has not used threats to use Nukes at all and yet many posters on here seem to believe he has done just that. Report what has been said and not just yours and the media's interpretation of it. Its bad enough without all this scare mongering going on.

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Putin cannot possibly turn 2022 Russia into 1942 Germany within a couple of months. Something’s gotta give. The harder we push -short of a shooting war- the sooner that give.

Another good example of crooked thinking.....

3 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Toilet rolls are on top of the wardrobes, beans and tuna in the larder. Never used my larder before.

I will beat this 10% inflation.

I've been stocking up for 4 days now, larder, garage, spare bedrooms, anywhere I can find room for provisions...

But people like you are encouraging Panic Buying...

31 minutes ago, Padders said:

I've been stocking up for 4 days now, larder, garage, spare bedrooms, anywhere I can find room for provisions...

But people like you are encouraging Panic Buying...

I previously said I won't be commenting on this thread but I find it difficult to ignore this post Padders.

Absolutely agree. I've seen it myself.  People buying in bulk leaving shelves practically empty. It's a rarity but it's starting to happen.

Makes me glad I started up a store room years ago. Now we just add to it every shop, a little bit here a little bit there. Now I reckon we could survive for around 4 or 5 months without leaving the house should the need arise.