Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

4 hours ago, Padders said:

Once Putins defeated, she will be released, and become a hero.....which she is.

Indeed she is...a very brave women.

2022 is turning out to be the year of heroes.

Zelensky is and will forever be known as one of those heroes...along with the brave Ukrainian people.

Putin will be despised for ever...along with his mates, the Hitler lookalike in Belarus, Mr Triangle Head in Syria and the Fat Cheese Eater in the stupid suit in North Korea.

Xi is still waiting for the jury to reconvene and deliver their verdict on him...

He could go down in history for stopping this nightmare conflict and get some kudos in the West (and keep his customers)...

...or he could join Putin and his mates

The Guardian is currently saying this about the arrested TV lady:

"However, BBC News reported that Ovsyannikova is being charged with “organising an unauthorised public event,” an administrative charge which could result in a fine of up to 30,000 roubles (£200), community service or up to 10 days in jail."

If that is true, then the relative softness of that charge (compared to people being thrown into jail for up to 15 years) is an interesting development...

Events could be getting to Putin and perhaps he wants a way out...?

Makes you wonder if this lady has got any dirt on Putin, he doesn't want coming out?

Edited by crazyhorse

The more this crisis goes on, the less I understand about Russia.

I get that it has been invaded multiple times in the past from the West...and I know it fears the same thing happening again.

But really...it doesn't seem to understand that no one in the West gives a toss about invading the crummy place.

Sure, we temporarily need its gas reserves until we can roll out renewables at scale and hopefully crack fusion power...but it seems to think we want to conquer it to take those resources...when we are quite happy to pay for them.

I know it has large mineral reserves...but again, we are happy to pay for those, not simply roll in and take them.

If anything it has more to fear from China...a country it has fought with in my lifetime over it's borders.

China wants Russia economically dependent on them in order to snap up those mineral reserves and oil at knockdown rates.

What is in it for Russia?

Not much.

25 minutes ago, crazyhorse said:

The more this crisis goes on, the less I understand about Russia.

I get that it has been invaded multiple times in the past from the West...and I know it fears the same thing happening again.

But really...it doesn't seem to understand that no one in the West gives a toss about invading the crummy place.

Sure, we temporarily need its gas reserves until we can roll out renewables at scale and hopefully crack fusion power...but it seems to think we want to conquer it to take those resources...when we are quite happy to pay for them.

I know it has large mineral reserves...but again, we are happy to pay for those, not simply roll in and take them.

If anything it has more to fear from China...a country it has fought with in my lifetime over it's borders.

China wants Russia economically dependent on them in order to snap up those mineral reserves and oil at knockdown rates.

What is in it for Russia?

Not much.

It’s not “Russia” that needs understanding, or “what’s in it for Russia”.

It’s Putin and his ethno-nationalist autocracy (which has refreshed and pushed and gaslit Russians up their eyeballs with that “the West is gonna get you” narrative for close to 2 decades).

I dare say the vast majority of “Russia” would be quite happy living a western-style existence under a european-like representative democracy.

I dare say further that, given their natural resources and socio-economics-technological capacities, the average Russian would lead a significantly-improved life in that alternative context, too.

Edited by L00b

1 hour ago, crazyhorse said:

"However, BBC News reported that Ovsyannikova is being charged with “organising an unauthorised public event,” an administrative charge which could result in a fine of up to 30,000 roubles (£200), community service or up to 10 days in jail."

If that is true, then the relative softness of that charge (compared to people being thrown into jail for up to 15 years) is an interesting development...

Events could be getting to Putin and perhaps he wants a way out...?

Makes you wonder if this lady has got any dirt on Putin, he doesn't want coming out?

Reuters now say that the verdict/sentence was 30,000 roubles for that offence (being translated in various way but generally the same ... inciting illegal protest).

I am not aware of anyone being jailed for more than a couple of days, so far.

Edited by cgksheff

1 hour ago, crazyhorse said:

Looks like she has only been fined 30,000 roubles...

Not sure why she got off lightly...perhaps Putin wants to appear both Merciless and Merciful to the outside world.

The guy really is a total Narcissist.

Edited by crazyhorse

10 minutes ago, crazyhorse said:

Looks like she has only been fined 30,000 roubles...

Not sure why she got off lightly...perhaps Putin wants to appear both Merciless and Merciful to the outside world.

The guy really is a total Narcissist.

Hope you are right.  I had visions of her disappearing never to be seen again.

1 hour ago, HumbleNarrator said:

This conflict has exposed just what a spent force Russia's conventional army is, they're getting everything wrong tactically and logistically, blundering through and taking hideous losses along the way. 

and telling everybody its ok weve only lost a few