Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

The Russian State has manipulated sport as an important propaganda vehicle for a hundred years(as have other countries).

Russian athletes are tightly controlled by the State and are expected to do their bidding. 

Currently dozens of Russian sportsmen and women are actively endorsing Putin's War.

Sadly you cannot be a successful Russian athlete without being controlled by the State-that is the Russian way.

Long term it may make the Russians question their leaders.

Short term it prevents Putin from using them as a propaganda tool even if the message is only 'Everything is normal.'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The Russian State has manipulated sport as an important propaganda vehicle for a hundred years(as have other countries).

Russian athletes are tightly controlled by the State and are expected to do their bidding. 

Currently dozens of Russian sportsmen and women are actively endorsing Putin's War.

Sadly you cannot be a successful Russian athlete without being controlled by the State-that is the Russian way.

Long term it may make the Russians question their leaders.

Short term it prevents Putin from using them as a propaganda tool even if the message is only 'Everything is normal.'

And of course it also saves any embarrassment of having any tennis players using Wimbledon as a potential platform for throwing their weight behind Putin.  Remember the Russian para Olympian from a few months ago who walked on to the medal podium with a "Z" stitched on to his tracksuit. 

On 29/04/2022 at 23:56, makapaka said:

I don’t think they’re fearful of invasion. I think they’re in fear of having nuclear weapons parked on their borders. That might sound irrational- but we have a nuclear deterrent so we’re obviously also concerned.

i agree with some of what you say and I’m certainly no sympathiser - but we had Russia upto east Germany and kicked back - and we’ve got nato upto (potentially) Ukraine and they’ve kicked back.

diplomacy is the solution to all of this - it’s crazy that we can end mankind over territory in the modern age.

Why did 12 countries join nato in the last 20 years?

The reason 12 joined NATO is that they are (rightly) terrified of a conventialy superior (and nuclear armed) Russia invading their countries...as has historically happened to some of them.

As for fear of NATO nuclear weapons...

The Russians probably have tactical nuclear weapons stored in their Baltic Sea enclave Kaliningrad...

...do next door neighbours Poland and Lithuania invade...Nope.

Because NATO is a defensive alliance.

Did NATO ever invade the Warsaw Pact (when it existed) when it was up against our borders?...Nope.

Are we currently invading the (nuclear armed) Russian Federation and it's Belorussian lackey...who are currently up against NATO borders in Norway, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania and Turkey?...Nope.

Was Ukraine ever a NATO member?...Nope.

Have NATO strategic or tactical (if NATO has any left in service) nuclear weapons ever been deployed to Ukrainian soil or waters?...Nope.

Even at the height of Cold War 1, intermediate range cruise missiles were only ever deployed to a handful of countries (us primarily)...due to public protest.

Of course I can't prove that Ukraine is not run and populated entirely by Nazis, drug addicts or a combination of both...

I can't prove that NATO and the slippery Yanks and Brits have not deployed weapons of mass destruction in secret bases in Ukraine...

I can't prove we haven't weaponised migratory birds to infect Russia with a bioweapon...as some Russian said the other day...

I cannot prove we didn't create the AIDS virus and release it from NATO bases...as the Russians said back in the 80s (the reason Moscow trained Thabo Mbeki refused to accept the scientific explanation for AIDS in South Africa I believe).

Nor can I prove that there isn't a blue teapot circling Saturn between the orbits of Titan and Iapetus...but I think I can say with near certainty that there isn't.

The Russian leadership don't fear NATO nuclear weapons...they fear freedom...as all tyrants do.

Edited by crazyhorse
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

And of course it also saves any embarrassment of having any tennis players using Wimbledon as a potential platform for throwing their weight behind Putin.  Remember the Russian para Olympian from a few months ago who walked on to the medal podium with a "Z" stitched on to his tracksuit. 

It would have had the same effect as seeing the Swastika tattooed on Trevor's forehead in Alan Clarke's 1982 TV film "Made In Britain"...

Correct decision by Wimbledon...some of these Russians are daft enough to do that.

1 hour ago, Kidorry said:

Just had news from a Ukranian friend that 2 of my wives friends have been shot . One by a sniper and the other when driving his car. So much for Russian humanity.

That's shocking...I don't know what to say.

Ukraine didn't deserve any of this...

Guest makapaka
17 hours ago, crazyhorse said:

The reason 12 joined NATO is that they are (rightly) terrified of a conventialy superior (and nuclear armed) Russia invading their countries...as has historically happened to some of them.

As for fear of NATO nuclear weapons...

The Russians probably have tactical nuclear weapons stored in their Baltic Sea enclave Kaliningrad...

...do next door neighbours Poland and Lithuania invade...Nope.

Did NATO ever invade the Warsaw Pact (when it existed) when it was up against our borders?...Nope.

Are we currently invading the (nuclear armed) Russian Federation and it's Belorussian lackey...who are currently up against NATO borders in Norway, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania and Turkey?...Nope.

Was Ukraine ever a NATO member?...Nope.

Have NATO strategic or tactical (if NATO has any left in service) nuclear weapons ever been deployed to Ukrainian soil or waters?...Nope.

Even at the height of Cold War 1, intermediate range cruise missiles were only ever deployed to a handful of countries (us primarily)...due to public protest.

Of course I can't prove that Ukraine is not run and populated entirely by Nazis, drug addicts or a combination of both...

I can't prove that NATO and the slippery Yanks and Brits have not deployed weapons of mass destruction in secret bases in Ukraine...

I can't prove we haven't weaponised migratory birds to infect Russia with a bioweapon...as some Russian said the other day...

I cannot prove we didn't create the AIDS virus and release it from NATO bases...as the Russians said back in the 80s (the reason Moscow trained Thabo Mbeki refused to accept the scientific explanation for AIDS in South Africa I believe).

Nor can I prove that there isn't a blue teapot circling Saturn between the orbits of Titan and Iapetus...but I think I can say with near certainty that there isn't.

The Russian leadership don't fear NATO nuclear weapons...they fear freedom...as all tyrants do.

What was NATO set up for?

17 minutes ago, makapaka said:

What was NATO set up for?

For exactly what is happening now: as a counterpoint to a belligerent, expansionist Russia.

Hence Finland, Sweden and Moldova all now looking to join NATO post-haste.

Looking increasingly like not a second too late, either:

No prizes for guessing why Vlad has done nowt whatsoever in respect of Poland, Czechia and all the other ex-USSR, since-NATO’d east European countries that have been sending, and continue to send, mountains of hardware to Ukraine.

Edited by L00b