Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

6 hours ago, hauxwell said:

It looks like the UK is still at the top of Russia’s list to test his new  nuke.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/russia-makes-threats-over-satan-111602321.html

It used to be a four minute warning, it's now 3 mins 20 seconds 🤷‍♂️

I just hope our trident boats are fully out to sea (I'm sure they are) ready to retaliate.

12 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

Erdogan does though.

Does he have nukes, though? 😉

Erdogan is just Erdogan, ever the opportunistic populist: he’s just playing hard to get, seeking enough bribing for a yes vote. Probably some backchannel economic prop-up from the EU and the US, given the parlous state of Turkey’s economy. Which he’ll get, and all.

Another oxygen-stealing waste of DNA whom I wouldn’t p*** on if he was on fire. Like Putin, Orban and few more, his time can’t come soon enough.

Edited by L00b
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, altus said:

Do keep up, we've done the Azov battalion multiple times. If you are really interested in Nazis in this conflict, check out Putin's Wagner Group and their founder with the Waffen SS insignia tattoos. As cuttsie says, Putin hasn't invaded Russia because of this. They do make a useful fake justification for telling the easily lead though.

Nobody believes Putin's propaganda "reasons" for invading the Ukraine :)

But I was refering to Cuttsie's "strange" comment.

As in "war makes strange bedfellows".

Here we are sending arms to folks who are far right white supremacists, a few of whom may be Nazis, and accepting Erdogan's Turkey NATO membership, who has just come out against allowing Sweden and Finland to join NATO.

It's not just simply good guys against bad guys.  "The enemy of my enemy, is my friend', can be good (temporary) military strategy, but it carries no moral imperative.

Edited by trastrick

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

Nobody believes Putin's propaganda "reasons" for invading the Ukraine :)

But I was refering to Cuttsie's "strange" comment.

As in "war makes strange bedfellows".

Here we are sending arms to folks who are far right white supremacists, a few of whom may be Nazis, and accepting Erdogan's Turkey NATO membership, who has just come out against allowing Sweden and Finland to join NATO.

It's not just simply good guys against bad guys.  "The enemy of my enemy, is my friend', can be good (temporary) military strategy, but it carries no moral imperative.

Put aside the fact that it is  fighting to safeguard Ukrainian territorial integrity and democracy in the face of naked, mass war crim’ing aggression, the Azov battalion purged itself of neonazis years ago.

But, and of course, its past form makes for convenient whattaboutery for appeasers and Putin supporters alike.

Turkey has been a NATO member since 1952.

Erdogan, who acceded to power in 2014 (i.e. 62 years later), is neither good, what with Russian activity in Syria aligning with his geopolitical interests close to home (most recently letting Syrian ships stuffed full of Russian-pilfered Ukrainian grain through the Bosporus strait), nor bad (still regularly drop-shipping now-world-famous Bakhtyar-2 drones to Ukraine by the cargo plane load). He’s a naked opportunist, riding his country for all it’s worth, literally and metaphorically.

He’ll get that chat with Finland and Sweden next week. Then he’ll shortly get a call from Blinken, and will be told what he’s getting and to shut up. Then he’ll “lift” his informal veto.

‘told you before in here: Finland’s accession to NATO is a done deal. It’s happening. For all of Putin’s sabre rattling, and Orban and Erdogan’s testiculating, it’s coming through shortly. With Sweden in tow.

Edited by L00b

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Put aside the fact that it is  fighting to safeguard Ukrainian territorial integrity and democracy in the face of naked, mass war crim’ing aggression, the Azov battalion purged itself of neonazis years ago.

But, and of course, its past form makes for convenient whattaboutery for appeasers and Putin supporters alike.

Erdogan, who acceded to power in 2014 (i.e. 62 years later), is neither good, what with Russian activity in Syria aligning with his geopolitical interests close to home (most recently letting Syrian ships stuffed full of Russian-pilfered Ukrainian grain through the Bosporus strait), nor bad (still regularly drop-shipping now-world-famous Bakhtyar-2 drones to Ukraine by the cargo plane load). He’s a naked opportunist, riding his country for all it’s worth, literally and metaphorically.

He’ll get that chat with Finland and Sweden next week. Then he’ll shortly get a call from Blinken, and will be told what he’s getting and to shut up. Then he’ll “lift” his informal veto.

‘told you before in here: Finland’s accession to NATO is a done deal. It’s happening. For all of Putin’s sabre rattling, and Orban and Erdogan’s testiculating, it’s coming through shortly. With Sweden in tow.

Erdogan and his Turks are constantly bombing and killing the Kurds  our allies from the Afghan and Syria wars , as well as backing Azerbaijan who are constantly invading the small Country of Armenia , we ,Nato and Russia do or say  nothing about this . strange that int it .

Edited by cuttsie

40 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Erdogan and his Turks are constantly bombing and killing the Kurds  our allies from the Afghan and Syria wars , as well as backing Azerbaijan who are constantly invading the small Country of Armenia , we ,Nato and Russia do or say  nothing about this . strange that int it .

Nothing strange about it.

Most of the Turkish population is anti-Kurds and anti-Armenian, for socio-historical reasons. Erdogan is just feathering his nest.

NATO countries object to that, lightly (-enough that you’d never see it front & center in the MSM) and several high-profile army commanders (incl.US IIRC) have resigned in protest over that lip service approach, over the years.

edit

see here: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/former-u-s-officials-criticize-trump-s-decision-abandon-kurds-n1084156

and look up e.g. Mattis’ resignation as US Defence Secretary in December 2018

/edit

But there’s no oil, gas or money in Kurdistan, nor in Armenia, so… (sarcasm and reality in equal measures here, I’m afraid).

Edited by L00b

18 minutes ago, L00b said:

Nothing strange about it.

Most of the Turkish population is anti-Kurds and anti-Armenian, for socio-historical reasons. Erdogan is just feathering his nest.

NATO countries object to that, lightly (-enough that you’d never see it front & center in the MSM) and several high-profile army commanders (incl.US IIRC) have resigned in protest over that lip service approach, over the years.

edit

see here: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/former-u-s-officials-criticize-trump-s-decision-abandon-kurds-n1084156

and look up e.g. Mattis’ resignation as US Defence Secretary in December 2018

/edit

But there’s no oil, gas or money in Kurdistan, nor in Armenia, so… (sarcasm and reality in equal measures here, I’m afraid).

Sadly bang on comment, Its funny how we in the West pick who to support in a crisis .

17 hours ago, whiteowl said:

I just hope our trident boats are fully out to sea (I'm sure they are) ready to retaliate

Yes I also hope we are ready to retaliate but I do hope that they are just idle threats coming out of Putin’s mouth.  

2 hours ago, L00b said:

"Shortly" ?

How long do you figure?