Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

Guest makapaka
5 hours ago, L00b said:

told you before in here: Finland’s accession to NATO is a done deal. It’s happening. For all of Putin’s sabre rattling, and Orban and Erdogan’s testiculating, it’s coming through shortly. With Sweden in tow.

Deeply worrying isn’t it. 

Guest makapaka
10 minutes ago, L00b said:

No, it isn’t.

Course it is. Russia are against the expansion of nato.

So nato are expanding - into a land mass that borders with Russia.

the risk of that was what got the situation started in the first place.

10 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Well Nato wasn’t expanding till masterbrain Putin decided to invade the neighbours. Screw Russia, Putin and his scummy criminal cronies have shown their colours clearly enough by the theft of Ukraine crops. Not even to feed their own people, just to flog off for monetary gain. Their must be maritime laws regarding stolen cargo. Failing that a “special military operation “ involving a few torpedoes might get the message across. If Putin doesn’t want to play by the rules why should anyone else?

• Thanks 1

Guest makapaka
4 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

Well Nato wasn’t expanding till masterbrain Putin decided to invade the neighbours

It has continually expanded since its formation, 

42 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Wrong across the board.

Ukraine not joining NATO early enough, is what got the situation started: Putin thought he’d have a free run without fear of retaliation.

Western nations have at long understood what ex-USSR democracies have been clamouring since the mid-2000s. Putin understands force, and force only. Appeasement does not work, it never did, and it never will.

So the democratically-elected representatives of the Finnish people, 188 out of 199 of them, have now decided to buy anti-bully insurance. Good for them.

I think you missed Putin’s public climb down, day before yesterday, about Sweden and Finland  joining NATO. Couple of pages ago. Clearest sign that Finland and Sweden have done the right thing for themselves.

Who gives a **** what Russia wants, after the last 3 months? I mean, beside Putin sympathisers?

Edited by L00b

Guest makapaka
4 minutes ago, L00b said:

Wrong across the board

Which bits are wrong?

are russia against the expansion of nato - yes.

if Finland joins nato will nato be on the border of Russia - yes.

did the war in Ukraine start because Russia was concerned about Ukraine joining nato - yes.

So to say otherwise is wrong.

you might be pleased about the potential for the escalation of conflict - I’m not really.

Doesn’t make someone a putin sympathiser to say so either.

14 minutes ago, makapaka said:

are russia against the expansion of nato - yes.

if Finland joins nato will nato be on the border of Russia - yes.

So, sovereign democratic countries should not be free to seek their own associations, because their dictatorial neighbour country doesn’t like it.

That’s your argument.

did the war in Ukraine start because Russia was concerned about Ukraine joining nato - yes

Did it?

Last I heard, the “special operation” is still about ridding Ukraine of its Nazis.

Sod all to do with NATO or EU or (…) membership.

Doesn’t make someone a putin sympathiser to say so either.

It absolutely does, by omission.

you might be pleased about the potential for the escalation of conflict - I’m not really.

I see this development as the exact inverse, i.e. the strongest factor of de-escalation: Putin is now certain to incur NATO retaliation if he ventures across the Finnish border, hence now he won’t.

His forces aren’t positioned, and could not conceivably get positioned, in the expected timeframe to Finland’s accession. 

It’s a check move, not check mate, which is actually decreasing the potential for escalation to the North along Finland’s border.

Edited by L00b