Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

9 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Not really.

The Russians are putting their own troops on the ground in their war against the West.

So, when convenient it's "The West's war against Russia", and at other times it's "Russia's war against the West"!

9 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Big difference!  :)

...between reality and the fantasies in your head. :?

3 minutes ago, geared said:

War against the Ukraine, Russia has invaded Ukraine.

If you're trying to make out this war is some kind of fight against Western oppression, you could well find yourself banned.

This is no place for false information, Russian propaganda or anyone supporting the barbaric Russian invasion.

Lord Haw Haw would have been proud!

27 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Not really.

The Russians are putting their own troops on the ground in their war against the West.

Big difference!  :)

Yes really, and completely so, given that the initiative of starting, then stopping, this invasive war of aggression always rested fully, and only, with Russia.

It still does, and still will, for however long the conflict endures.

For all your “realist” takes on this conflict, regularly hinged upon the unnecessary Ukrainian deaths…I’m less and less surprised at your complete lack of concern for the similar fate of Russian troops, dying in significantly greater numbers than Ukrainians and, by the sum total of recent findings and testimonies of Ukrainian services and humanitarian associations, left by their fellow troops to rot wherever they perish.

Just now, L00b said:

Yes really, and completely so, given that the initiative of starting, then stopping, this invasive war of aggression always rested fully, and only, with Russia.

It still does, and still will, for however long the conflict endures.

For all your “realist” takes on this conflict, regularly hinged upon the unnecessary Ukrainian deaths…I’m less and less surprised at your complete lack of concern for the similar fate of Russian troops, dying in significantly greater numbers than Ukrainians and, by the sum total of recent findings and testimonies of Ukrainian services and humanitarian associations, left by their fellow troops to rot wherever they perish.

I have zero sympathy for the Russian Totalitarians!

Let them rot, I say!

It's the toll they are taking on the outgunned and outmanned Ukrainians, I'm concerned about.

Left to fight alone, while the Western armchair warmongers,  hurl only pearl clutchers names at Putin.

(as if he listens to them, lol)

The only people he listens to are China, India, Africa, South America and Middle Eastern Totalitarians who make up the majority of the  World's population.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trastrick said:

I have zero sympathy for the Russian Totalitarians!

Let them rot, I say!

It's the toll they are taking on the outgunned and outmanned Ukrainians, I'm concerned about.

Left to fight alone, while the Western armchair warmongers,  hurl only pearl clutchers names at Putin.

(as if he listens to them, lol)

The only people he listens to are China, India, Africa, South America and Middle Eastern Totalitarians who make up the majority of the  World's population.

I’m reliably informed by hundreds of thousands of social media users on the ground and away, that ‘western armchair warmongers’ hurl £/$/€millions upon millions in donated aid, food and equipment at Ukraine, over and above the well-publicised official help (arms, aid, food,etc) from western governments - which allow the UA to hurl significantly more than ‘pearl clutchers’ at Russian forces, whilst sanctions continue to tear the @rse out of the Russian economy.

Maybe familiarise yourself with the expression “component-rich” systems, machines, tools, weapons <etc> used by Russia to exist economically and militarily…then Google along to find out who makes such components, besides spares and consumables for the said Russian-owned, western-made systems, machines, tools, weapons <etc>, and you may then usefully connect dots about Russia’s fast-dwindling military capacity, consumed far faster through incapacity to produce and maintain armaments, than any number of western howitzers in Ukrainian hands could.

Who knows, you may even understand why, far from being driven by exports of oil/gas/primary resources, the ‘strong’ ruble is resolutely not the bellweather of Russian economic health, that most Kremlin apologists believe it is. The expression you’re looking for for that one, is “balance of trade” 😉

Edited by L00b

Just now, L00b said:

I’m reliably informed by hundreds of thousands of social media users on the ground and away, that ‘western armchair warmongers’ hurl £/$/€millions upon millions in donated aid, food and equipment at Ukraine, over and above the well-publicised official help (arms, aid, food,etc) from western governments - which allow the UA to hurl significantly more than ‘pearl clutchers’ at Russian forces, whilst sanctions continue to tear the @rse out of the Russian economy.

Maybe familiarise yourself with the expression “component-rich” systems, machines, tools, weapons <etc> used by Russia to exist economically and militarily…then Google along to find out who makes such components, besides spares and consumables for the said Russian-owned, western-made systems, machines, tools, weapons <etc>, and you may then usefully connect dots about Russia’s fast-dwindling military capacity, consumed far faster through incapacity to produce and maintain armaments, than any number of western howitzers in Ukrainian hands could.

Who knows, you may even understand why, far from being driven by exports of oil/gas/primary resources, the ‘strong’ ruble is resolutely not the bellweather of Russian economic health, that most Kremlin apologists believe it is. The expression you’re looking for for that one, is “balance of trade” 😉

The EU's "Balance of Trade"

I call the EU's trade with Putin for his Fossil Fuel Oil and Gas, a sickening hypocracy.

Every barrel of oil they buy, at his record high prices, finances Putin's war against the Ukrainians.

I hear they are "in meetings" to discuss, ending, some, or all, sooner or later, their dependency on Russia's energy.

The old communist saw, about how they will  sell us the rope, by which we will hang ourselves, has currency these days.

Totalitarians can smell weakness, it invigorates them.

35 minutes ago, trastrick said:

The EU's "Balance of Trade"

<…>

No. Russia’s. But you knew that. 😏

I know, I know…it’s a bit embarrassing to look at that Russian balance of trade, since it shows that the sanctions are working exactly to plan. Bad business for propagandists like you, that.

Just now, L00b said:

No. Russia’s. But you knew that. 😏

I know, I know…it’s a bit embarrassing to look at that Russian balance of trade, since it shows that the sanctions are working exactly to plan. Bad business for propagandists like you, that.

"Working exactly to plan?"

You mean the destruction, rape and slaughter in the Ukraine?

Paying the  Russian Totalitarians their inflated Fossil Fuel Prices, which the EU say they will end, at the end of the year, IF all their Members agree?

Financing Putin's war against Ukraine?.

(Must be a BidenWorld plan)  :)

Some people!

Edited by trastrick

Does it require unilateral support to ban Russian oil and gas or will majority support work?

Several countries are quite reliant on Russia for gas and have not done much to replace this source, I can't see them happily backing a ban.  If a majority vote could force their hand, that would work better.

I have wondered more than once about why Putin thought he could get away with invading Ukraine.

I don't think it's any one thing, it's a collection, all of which led him to believe the west was weak and would never do anything to risk the lives of it's own citizens. Our reaction to Covid must have helped cement that view in his mind, that we really would shut down society for months on end for a virus which over 99% of people were surviving so we would never go to war for Ukraine.

Well he was right, we wouldn't. But what he hadn't bargained on was Ukraine putting up such stiff resistance which gained them valuable time, and he had forgotten that the West supplying arms to the Ukraine does not actually out any of their citizens in the firing line, so they're prepared to do that.

8 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I have wondered more than once about why Putin thought he could get away with invading Ukraine.

I don't think it's any one thing, it's a collection, all of which led him to believe the west was weak and would never do anything to risk the lives of it's own citizens. Our reaction to Covid must have helped cement that view in his mind, that we really would shut down society for months on end for a virus which over 99% of people were surviving so we would never go to war for Ukraine.

Well he was right, we wouldn't. But what he hadn't bargained on was Ukraine putting up such stiff resistance which gained them valuable time, and he had forgotten that the West supplying arms to the Ukraine does not actually out any of their citizens in the firing line, so they're prepared to do that.

You have a Covid centric view on every conceivable event.

Putin’s intent to reestablish the former territories of the Soviet Union were in play many years before Coronavirus became an issue.