Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

25 minutes ago, Padders said:

Just watched the news, and Mr. Putin has started a nationwide recruitment drive for more cannon fodder.

Apparently 70,000 Russian soldiers have been killed or seriously wounded.

I think this is a really good example of what patriotism is really for. How else could you get people to sign up for this dogshît? The people signing up have nothing to gain from it.

21 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I think this is a really good example of what patriotism is really for. How else could you get people to sign up for this dogshît? The people signing up have nothing to gain from it.

It’s a telling example of nationalism, not patriotism.

Many great quotes about this dichotomy over the ages, but two stick with me most:

Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first. – Charles de Gaulle

The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war. – Sydney J. Harris

20 minutes ago, L00b said:

It’s a telling example of nationalism, not patriotism.

Many great quotes about this dichotomy over the ages, but two stick with me most:

Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first. – Charles de Gaulle

The difference between patriotism and nationalism is that the patriot is proud of his country for what it does, and the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does; the first attitude creates a feeling of responsibility, but the second a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war. – Sydney J. Harris

I do kinda get the distinction, but for me there's no nationalism without patriotism. It's like the gateway drug. Anyway, hopefully there will be few volunteers for Putin's murderthon.

2 hours ago, Delbow said:

I do kinda get the distinction, but for me there's no nationalism without patriotism. It's like the gateway drug. Anyway, hopefully there will be few volunteers for Putin's murderthon.

I don’t disagree with the “gateway drug” analogy. Though I prefer to stick with the virtuous definition of the adjective, as would e.g. be used to qualify Ukrainians returning from afar to their home country for defending it. Personal choice borne from historical family perspective 🙂

There will likely be many, many thousands of ‘volunteers’ for the modern-day Red Army. Not because they’re patriots, or nationalists, to any great extent. But because he’s extended the initiative to inmates, for many of whom the lure of unchecked loot, rape, etc. will be hard to resist - beside the big (-for Russia) pay check. Notwithstanding that most may never end up collecting their first.

4 hours ago, L00b said:

I don’t disagree with the “gateway drug” analogy. Though I prefer to stick with the virtuous definition of the adjective, as would e.g. be used to qualify Ukrainians returning from afar to their home country for defending it. Personal choice borne from historical family perspective 🙂

There will likely be many, many thousands of ‘volunteers’ for the modern-day Red Army. Not because they’re patriots, or nationalists, to any great extent. But because he’s extended the initiative to inmates, for many of whom the lure of unchecked loot, rape, etc. will be hard to resist - beside the big (-for Russia) pay check. Notwithstanding that most may never end up collecting their first.

I very much doubt they’ll see a single ruble. There’s much speculation that the reason Russia doesn’t want the bodies of its troops back (apart from the obvious propaganda reasons) is they can avoid paying the so called “coffin money “ to the deceased’s family. Simply put, no body no money. Another reason why the crew of the Moskva were supposedly killed in an accident in international waters rather than in combat.