Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

Just now, Padders said:

Got bigger potholes here in Sheffield Mel.........

thought about that when i saw someat on the news tother day about some place that is fixing potholes by digging them out....surely thats just making em bigger?

4 hours ago, geared said:

No-one is winning right now, the Russian defences are holding up against this renewed Ukrainian counter-offensive, just like the Ukrainian defences held against the last Russian offensive.

No-one wants to say it, but a stalemate is looking likely.

I've been saying it for a long time. There will inevitably be a diplomatic solution.  The war is about grabbing as much territory as the belligerents can, so that when the inevitable day comes, they will be in a strong position to negotiate.

Some around here dismissed it as "rubbish", and called me a Putin puppet! :)

It's just sad that it is taking so long, while the unnecessary slaughter and destruction continues,  while incompetent politicians dither, to "save face",

Edited by trastrick

6 hours ago, trastrick said:

Likewise the "narrative" that the Ukraine is "winning".

Little Ukraine not being swamped by Russian forces and under their power after over a year since the invasion is classed as a win in my book

Edited by alchresearch
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, trastrick said:

I've been saying it for a long time. There will inevitably be a diplomatic solution.  The war is about grabbing as much territory as the belligerents can, so that when the inevitable day comes, they will be in a strong position to negotiate.

It's just sad that it is taking so long, while the unnecessary slaughter and destruction continues,  while incompetent politicians dither, to "save face",

What do you think the inevitable diplomatic solution will be, and which politicians are you alluding to?

8 minutes ago, carosio said:

What do you think the inevitable diplomatic solution will be, and which politicians are you alluding to?

The usual stuff. Some suggestions.

First a Cease Fire.  Administered by the U.N. That's the important bit.

Possibly partition to ensure that the interests of the ethnic people who actually live in the disputed territories have some say in their governance.

It's all been done before. Austria/Hungary, Ethiopia, India, Sudan, Palestine, Korea, Ireland, et al.

A neutral nuclear weapons free zone between NATO and Russia.

And then endless "ja.ja. ja" over who gets the kids and the dog.

Much better than endless "war, war war".

There'll likely be a few infractions, from the hard core disenchanted, but they can be handled. 

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

Is Mr. Blair still a peace envoy ?

Don't know if he still is,  but that was like putting an alcoholic in charge of  a pub.

He should have been on war crimes charges.

3 hours ago, trastrick said:

WWII did not end like that......

And many people, myself included, compare Putin to Hitler and/or Stalin.

Edited by Chekhov