Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

17 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Whatever stops the fighting and saves lives. 

Ask them if they want to carry on in the meat grinder or have a chance of peace.

Go on, ask them..

The people of Ukraine seem to be more than prepared to carry on fighting rather than bow to Putin.  I would do the same  in their place.

It would seem to me that you think your view carries more weigt than theirs.

17 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Yes they have, an agreement between Ukraine and Russia was reached, Boris Johnson went to Ukraine and scuppered it.

This isn't a secret you know.

You don't know what that agreement was or why it was turned down.

Don't be so sure when you don't know the facts.

Just now, Organgrinder said:

The people of Ukraine seem to be more than prepared to carry on fighting rather than bow to Putin

Snipped 

"Seem to"?

So you aren't sure then?

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

Snipped 

I would do the same  in their place.

Snipped 

Be in their place then. Volunteer and get stuck in?

2 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Snipped 

Snipped 

🙄 The agreement is available online. With a bit of time and effort I'm sure you can find it. I'll say again, it's no secret. 

4 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

It would be nice to live in a world where war legal or illegal was a thing of the past.

Sadly that'll never happen. 

Yes,  I certainly agree with that   and I also agree that it will never happen.   It just shows that humanity hasn't got much further than the caveman days.

There will always be people like Putin, Hitler and the rest so, we will always have to be prepared to fight,  or to be enslaved.  nasty but true.

Yes,  I certainly agree with that   and I also agree that it will never happen.   It just shows that humanity hasn't got much further than the caveman days.

Snipped 

I agree wholeheartedly with that.

Snipped 

There will always be people like Putin, Hitler and the rest so, we will always have to be prepared to fight,  or to be enslaved.  nasty but true.

My bold.

You'd need to include almost every single American president in that and a few British Prime ministers too.

4 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

My bold 

I agree here too 👍 

The Ukraine war is like watching a chess match one gains one loses. The Wagner affair was oddball event what was the real aim? Then we have the nuclear power stations saga will Putin order it's destruction or is a to gain leverage on a future deal? Either way the Ukrainians suffer daily.

6 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

The people of Ukraine seem to be more than prepared to carry on fighting rather than bow to Putin

Snipped 

"Seem to"?

So you aren't sure then?

You are doing it again  -  playing games with the words I write  -  I'M SURE

Snipped 

I would do the same  in their place.

Snipped 

Be in their place then. Volunteer and get stuck in?

TOO GORMLESS TO ANSWER

Snipped 

Snipped 

🙄 The agreement is available online. With a bit of time and effort I'm sure you can find it. I'll say again, it's no secret. 

Why should I need to see the agreement.  It's up to the people of Ukraine to decide and not me   -  or you.

If you think you can wear me down with the crafty word play, forget it.   You're just showing that  you don't want to stick to the subject because you've lost already.

Carry on believing that it should be stopped.  Nothing wrong with that except it isn't going to be stopped and everything carries on as it was.

On 13/07/2023 at 16:55, Padders said:

Tha nos Cuttsie,

I don't understand the in's and outs of this war.

But I do understand one fact!

Russia invaded what was a peaceful country.

And now look at the consequences.

It's a little more complicated than that. 

For the record, The Ukraine was not a peaceful country.

In 2014, there was a revolution, supported by the West, which overthrew the elected pro Russian President. Viktor Yanukovych.

This started the Donbas war between mainly Russian speaking  regions in the East, who declared independence and the Kiev Central government.

Edited by trastrick
  • Like 1

On 13/07/2023 at 17:47, Padders said:

I liken this to the Cuban crisis in 1962.

Russia wanted to set up missiles in Cuba, the USA went ballistic.

The world held it's breath as Kennedy threatened to blow them up.

The only bloke with any sense pulled them back, Mr. Khrushchev.

It's the same scenario, NATO should do the same..

Spot on!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, trastrick said:

It's a little more complicated than that. 

For the record, The Ukraine was not a peaceful country.

In 2014, there was a revolution, supported by the West, which overthrew the elected pro Russian President. Viktor Yanukovych.

This started the Donbas war between mainly Russian speaking  regions in the East, who declared independence and the Kiev Central government.

Correct.  He was a Putin puppet and he ruled in the same hard way as Putin.

The people wanted to be free and have a democracy and that's what they got.

Putin's been trying to put it back ever since which led to the present situation.

Putin is afraid that if the people of Russia see a democracy beside them, they will want the same freedoms as Ukraine and he won't allow that.

Whether we were right in supporting that is for others to decide but it's done now,  the people were happy and  I agree that all people should be free.

Obviously some on here who prefer Putin's ways     -     Why not go and live there then ?