Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

11 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I agree the normal people of Russia don't want this to happen.  We saw how Putin dressed down one of him ministers who didn't quite sing from the same hymn sheet.  The best outcome would be for members of the Russian military to remove Putin from power.

I agree, senior commanders need to step in and remove him from power...or this man is going to vapourise us all.

Soviet commanders had a noble tradition of refusing to follow stupid orders when told to by the computer or their superiors.

Lets hope they still have rational people like that around.

15 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I agree the normal people of Russia don't want this to happen.  We saw how Putin dressed down one of him ministers who didn't quite sing from the same hymn sheet.  The best outcome would be for members of the Russian military to remove Putin from power.

Totally agree with this, let’s hope the loony gets the boot ASAP!

44 minutes ago, Anna B said:

True, but it also gives us some leverage.

I think our best way of attack is to confiscate the Russian Oligarch's money, there's tons of it is sloshing about in London. 

Hit them in the pocket and freeze their accounts.

I'd also think about restricting their movements/locking them up as enemy aliens.

Whilst something needs to be done about the golden citizenships and influence Russian oligarchs have in this country, they don't have much influence on Putin. Targetting members of the Duma as suggested in the article crazyhorse mentioned is more likely to bear fruit.

However, there is a much bolder and more imaginative approach. Russia’s ruling class – the members of the Duma, the Senate, the presidential council, the top echelons of the security and defence services, top state television employees – is several thousands strong. These men (and some women) draft, rubber-stamp, promote and carry out Putin’s decisions. Some of them also – unlike the oligarchs – actually advise him.

Most of these people love to travel to Europe and the US. They educate their children here. They own properties here. The members of the Russian elite, their families and children, love to swan around on yachts, ski slopes and fine hotels in the west, posting pictures of themselves on Instagram. If they are denied visas to travel to the west – if they are effectively imprisoned in Russia – it will not take long for the discontent to permeate the entire political class. The message to them will be clear: if you want to enjoy your western lifestyles, you need a new leader who respects western values; until then, you’re banned.

The added value of this approach is that, unlike some economic sanctions, it will not harm ordinary Russians, in fact it will delight them.

If any kind of sanctions are going to have an effect, it is these. Forget the oligarchs; go for the political elite.

9 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

I agree , The spread of weapons is immoral

Sorry, you are saying we should not be sending weapons to the Ukraine so that country can defend itself (and us it could be argued) against a far bigger more aggressive neighbour ?

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

True, but it also gives us some leverage.

I think our best way of attack is to confiscate the Russian Oligarch's money, there's tons of it is sloshing about in London. 

Hit them in the pocket and freeze their accounts.

I'd also think about restricting their movements/locking them up as enemy aliens.

Yeah but most donate to the tories