Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

9 minutes ago, crazyhorse said:

Why not a popular uprising?

Should the Russian people live in poverty because their masters have grown used to their opulent lifestyles?

If a revolution is required to remove them from power...the Russian people (or any other people in a similar situation with their Government) should have that right when all other channels have failed (which they have in Russia).

You probably don't like the idea because you as a Westerner associate it with Western adventurism in Libya.

If you asked a Libyan at that time, they may have had a different view, living under a corrupt tyrant who kept them down.

You misunderstood my point. I'd have loved the Arab spring to have turned out successfully but in many cases it resulted either in authoritarian regimes ruthlessly crushing dissent or terrorists taking over. I don't wish either of the those on anyone. I think it would be a very good thing for Russia and the vast majority of its people to get rid of Putin's kleptocracy.

15 minutes ago, SheffieldBricky said:

'Perhaps the EU should not have outsourced its energy policy to a Nordic teenager, and covered up for that ineffective policy by outsourcing its energy supply to the dictator of Russia.'

Ben Shapiro

True dat.

Totally agree...it has made us strategically vulnerable to blackmail like this...

2 minutes ago, altus said:

You misunderstood my point. I'd have loved the Arab spring to have turned out successfully but in many cases it resulted either in authoritarian regimes ruthlessly crushing dissent or terrorists taking over. I don't wish either of the those on anyone. I think it would be a very good thing for Russia and the vast majority of its people to get rid of Putin's kleptocracy.

The Ukrainian spring turned out OK enough.

I’m loathe to stereotype, but…less ambient tribalism helps a lot, in that respect.

3 minutes ago, altus said:

I agree. I don't think you can keep a people down for ever...and if they failed this time, maybe next time they won't...

Sanctions... Clear Putin's Oligarchs out of Knightsbridge, freeze Russian assets and STOP sponsorship of Gazprom in British football stadia.  It was truly sickening to see the word emblazoned around Stamford Bridge in their Champions League match.  Oh yes, send Abramovic packing too.

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

I've been saying for a long time, with Joe's poor numbers, they have to do something to shuffle the deck. What will they do about Joe?

What's the only thing that will unite the U.S.A. in supporting their president?

The threat of War!

You just don't understand "propaganda".

Ever hear of Wag the Dog?

It's all politics.

I used to be cynical thinking the Tories (and the Democrats) were whipping up the Russia threat, but Putin has proven them correct.

2 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

I can’t believe it when a country is invaded by a malignant neighboring one some contributors still won’t condemn them.

They don't want to amend their world view.

Most people have the ability to learn from their mistakes and listen to other's opinions and alter their outlook on life and that shows maturity and a well rounded individual.

Others are so rigid in their dogma, they never accept change and cling ever harder to their "Gods" as their worldview fades into history.

21 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Putin was winning the propaganda game up until this week.  He would be in a stronger position and still have credibility if he hadn't acted the way the western nations predicted he would.  

He's blown it hasn't he?

Like a gambler on a "winning streak" he could never push back from the table and take his winnings.