Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

6 minutes ago, trastrick said:

It was common knowledge that Putin held the opinion that Ukraine, belonged in the Russian alliance.

He acted on that opinion when Obama/Biden were in office. He grabbed Crimea.

He acted on that opinion, again, when Biden came into office.

For some reason, Putin didn't act on that opinion, when Trump was in office.  :)

That's history!

Yes trastrick, if trump was president world war 3 would have started weeks ago ,he would be mad enough.

4 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

Yes trastrick, if trump was president world war 3 would have started weeks ago ,he would be mad enough.

Well, there's one opinion!

We'll call that the "U.S. President is insane" theory.

Next?

Edited by trastrick

5 hours ago, steved32 said:

Sanctions... Clear Putin's Oligarchs out of Knightsbridge, freeze Russian assets and STOP sponsorship of Gazprom in British football stadia.  It was truly sickening to see the word emblazoned around Stamford Bridge in their Champions League match.  Oh yes, send Abramovic packing too.

Just about all done by the UK.

Even, from noises mounting afresh based recent Parliamentary reports into Russian influence, Abramovic (who's flown to Moscow today) might not come back.

Credit where credit's due, Boris Johnson and government done good. Yes, I said that.

I'm off for a shower.

Putin going all in, attacks taking place all over Ukraine. Also most concerning, Putin hinting at nuclear retaliation in the event of anyone interfering with his military action.

I think he’s caught the west very much off-guard and unprepared. Question is, how do we seriously hurt Putin and his support network, without hurting the common Russian people, or, triggering a far more serious conflict?

I wonder if Ukraine should have been supplied with appropriate arms, missiles, etc, enough to take out military targets within Russia, close to the Ukraine border. Plan being to seriously hurt Russian military capabilities in the event of an invasion. Would that kind of deterrent work? Or back-fire and only escalate matters?

Given a situation where Putin is suggesting he’ll go nuclear if the west does respond, how far will he be able to keep pushing his luck before the west does respond militarily?

Edited by Waldo

18 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Putin going all in, attacks taking place all over Ukraine. Also most concerning, Putin hinting at nuclear retaliation in the event of anyone interfering with his military action.

I think he’s caught the west very much off-guard and unprepared. Question is, how do we seriously hurt Putin and his support network, without hurting the common Russian people, or, triggering a far more serious conflict?

I wonder if Ukraine should have been supplied with appropriate arms, missiles, etc, enough to take out military targets within Russia, close to the Ukraine border. Plan being to seriously hurt Russian military capabilities in the event of an invasion. Would that kind of deterrent work? Or back-fire and only escalate matters?

Given a situation where Putin is suggesting he’ll go nuclear if the west does respond, how far will he be able to keep pushing his luck before the west does respond militarily?

You can't, pragmatically.

And shouldn't, morally :  common Russian people have kept Vlad in power for 20 years, they get to shoulder their share of the consequences.

Ukraine was right not to perform any pre-emptive strikes "within Russia". That would have made Ukraine the aggressor.

All that needs to be done, is for the latest sanctions to be implemented fast and, much more importantly, maintained steadfastly until Putin loses power.  It won't take long. 

Edited by L00b

16 minutes ago, L00b said:

You can't, pragmatically.

And shouldn't, morally :  common Russian people have kept Vlad in power for 20 years, they get to shoulder their share of the consequences.

Ukraine was right not to perform any pre-emptive strikes "within Russia". That would have made Ukraine the aggressor.

All that needs to be done, is for the latest sanctions to be implemented fast and, much more importantly, maintained steadfastly until Putin loses power.  It won't take long. 

Not sure the Russian people had much say in the matter.

I wasn’t suggesting a pre-emptive strike, rather a retaliatory one, in response to a Russian invasion.

I do hope you’re right about the effectiveness of sanctions though. Time will tell.

Edited by Waldo