Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

38 minutes ago, SheffieldBricky said:

The media isn't being honest about the history. There was a lot of pressure from the EU and NATO in 2014 to remove the elected President who was pro Russian. He agreed to have an election. But BEFORE the election was run he was overthrown in a coup. 

The CIA will be deeply involved in creating this problem. They've been creating fake revolutions in the middle east for decades. Not that the one in Ukraine was fake but they will have been assisting. They funded and armed ISIS in Syria in the hope they'd bring Assad down. Then they'd send troops in to kill all the terrorists and install a puppet leader. 

The media also needs to be honest about some aspects of the Ukraine army. They are Nazis and proud of it.

The best thing we can do is stay out, let Putin take the two areas who want to be part of Russia and then see what happens.

Obama sent over envoys, like John McCain to influence the outcome, they even told the future leaders whod theyd like to be in certain positions within the new regime.

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

There’s no reason for us to get involved at all. 

Bit late for that,  bet Putin's heading for the toilet as we speak ,

"Are you watching Mr Putin! Royal Navy sends out missile destroyer in major show of force"

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1571946/Royal-navy-Vladimir-putin-russia-ukraine-war-boris-johnson-hms-diamond-portsmouth

4 minutes ago, staninoodle said:

Obama sent over envoys, like John McCain to influence the outcome, they even told the future leaders whod theyd like to be in certain positions within the new regime.

It's wrong to portray the Russians as evil people who just want to invade for their own good. Just been watching a statement by their Foreign Secretary explaining. She could just be an evil genius or she could be just providing some context. I'll go for the latter. We never see the issues she's raising discussed in the western media.

3 minutes ago, retep said:

"Are you watching Mr Putin! Royal Navy sends out missile destroyer in major show of force"

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1571946/Royal-navy-Vladimir-putin-russia-ukraine-war-boris-johnson-hms-diamond-portsmouth

Our navy isn't the force it was.

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

But is it really?  One minute its the Arabs, next its Chinese,  Qatar.

It just seems to be whichever foreign bogeyman is the current baddie.

You just don't get it do you? 

Britain is a major tax haven, so all of the above have been laundering money here for years. 

Our government turns a blind eye to it.

That's why they won't crack down on the major tax dodgers, but jump on the 'little people'

to give the illusion that they're on it. 

1 hour ago, retep said:

I like this bit further down the article...

"It had originally been set to leave on February 17 but its departure was delayed by Storm Eunice with further delays due to the warship needing minor repairs."

4 hours ago, Waldo said:

I’m struggling with the concept of ‘collective responsibility’.

It implies, even those who are opposed (often at great cost to themselves) to Putin and to the invasion of Ukraine, should be punished for Putin’s decision to invade Ukraine.

Yes, it does imply that indeed. Whereby, the earlier those brave ones get emulated by enough of a majority of Russians to halt Ukraine’s invasion, alternatively to depose Putin, the better for them and all Russians, as sanctions can then be stopped,.

E.g. just like the minority British electorate which did not vote for Brexit, and the rest of the population which did not vote at all then or since (both sets amounting to significantly more of the British population than the Leave voters…70-odd % I think?) all get to experience and shoulder the economic upheaval brought about by it irrespective.

Edit -and to keep with the earlier Godwinism (apologies)- identically for the tiny minority of Germans who actively opposed Hitler and nazism, and the significant majority which didn’t care (or dare to care) either way, relative to the small cadre of Nazis and order-followers.

When a population fails to keep its governance in check, it is right that it shares as a whole in repairing the wrongs of that errant governance, and shoulders that burden collectively.

Edited by L00b

2 minutes ago, L00b said:

Yes, it does imply that indeed.

E.g. just like the minority British electorate which did not vote for Brexit, and the rest of the population which did not vote at all then or since (both sets amounting to significantly more of the British population than the Leave voters…70-odd % I think?) all get to experience and shoulder the economic upheaval brought about by it irrespective.

Are you ever going to move on from Brexit? You can't claim people who didn't vote leave or remain. They didn't care enough. By your thinking no government would be legitimate.

13 minutes ago, L00b said:

Or they could do what you did and bail out!

18 minutes ago, SheffieldBricky said:

Are you ever going to move on from Brexit? You can't claim people who didn't vote leave or remain. They didn't care enough. By your thinking no government would be legitimate. 

Of course I can, in the context of a post arguing that people who didn’t care enough (and the rest of the population which did not vote at all then” in my post) get to wear the eventual consequences.

Exact same situation for Russians who didn’t care enough, then or since, and let Putin grow his power over the past 22 years.

12 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Or they could do what you did and bail out!

To the difference that I’m not a Brit, did not get a vote at all (Brexit or any GE ever) and the populist purpose of Brexit was to kick the likes of me out - wherein you can’t even begin to infer any amount of collective responsibility on me for that mess 🙄

For everyday Russians not connected to Putin’s mafia, if they have the opportunity, absolutely they could - and if they have a family, definitely should.

Edited by L00b

1 minute ago, L00b said:

Exact same situation for Russians who didn’t care enough, then or since, and let Putin grow his power over the past 22 years.

You could use that argument for just about everything. Every time it will seem a little more stupid. Or maybe just desperate.

I'm quite happy with the way Brexit is going under all the challenges of the last few years.