Ukraine: Invasion Imminent?

17 hours ago, Anna B said:

I so hope you're wrong.

I remember the Russians invading Afghanistan in the 80's with Cruse missiles flying all over the place. It was terrifying. 

I understand strong sanctions have been threatened if Putin goes in, so don't think there is much appetite for World war 3.

I've never understood why countries can't all cooperate together and live in peace.... 

I've never understood why you need Bobbies to prevent your neighbors stealing your stuff and doing terrible things to your kids!

Edited by trastrick

16 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Typical. Accusations of trolling because you don't want to answer. 

The answer is they did Nothing. 

They didn't invade the rest of the Ukraine and many would argue Russia had every right to enter the Crimea. 

The problem in that part of the world is NATO and America. As usual.. 

Did it occur to anybody that they invaded Ukraine under Obama/Biden, no new invasion under Trump, and now threaten invasion under Biden again!  :)

Co-incidence?

14 hours ago, Padders said:

Rogets,

That made me laugh out loud.  :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

All future wars should be fought safely. Mask wearing at at all times and only environmentally friendly, green weapons!

Social distancing and no large gathering of groups.

12 hours ago, Waldo said:

I think a big part (and problem) of religion, is the tendency people have to think they’re in the right, (in possession of absolute truth, the one true way) and anyone else with a different or opposing view, is in the wrong,

That's not just a problem with religion  :)

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

I agree.  I doubt very much he would give Ukraine months to prepare for such an invasion.

Putin has a valid point regarding the expansion of NATO nearer to Russia.  The EU haven't helped the situation with their expansion East.

I have to agree with you about giving Ukraine time to prepare for a Russian invasion. 

There was talk at one time about the EU creating its own army, or have they already gone ahead with that?  I can’t see Putin being to pleased about that especially if Ukraine tried to join the EU.

7 minutes ago, trastrick said:

All future wars should be fought safely. Mask wearing at at all times and only environmentally friendly, green weapons!

Social distancing and no large gathering of groups.

That was funny.

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

Did it occur to anybody that they invaded Ukraine under Obama/Biden, no new invasion under Trump, and now threaten invasion under Biden again!  :)

Trump was weak against Russia, distrustful of NATO, and notably friendly to Putin.

Putin didn't feel any pressure under Trump, quite the contrary!

Trump was a cheerleader for Putin, and spent a significant amount of time legitimising him and his actions at home and abroad.

:?

Co-incidence?

After Covid, the Russian economy is now around the size of Spains and anti-Putin protests at home are gaining traction.

Combined with no longer having his very vocal cheerleader, he's now feeling electoral pressure...

...so probably not entirely unconnected. :?

Edited by Magilla

14 hours ago, Anna B said:

I'll give you that up to a point. But it's not just religion in isolation, it's religion mixed with culture and genuine grievances,  male dominance and power. 

We have a lot of internal terrorism because we have been bombing the sh** out of these people for years. We have also dominated them, ruined and exploited them. They're a bit upset about it... 

It's easy for the western powers  to say it's all about religion when it's not, to make sure we don't ask too many questions. I hate to say it, but there's a lot of money to be made from wars, as long as you're not the one under the rubble.

The biggest euphamism of all is 'peacekeeping forces' which actually means killing people and subjugating populations to our culture and  values, whether they want it or not. 

Most Muslim countries in the world are at war with their own, civil war, based on the 31 sects that have different interpretations of the Koran.

Blaming the West for this sad state  of affairs is unconstructive.

Joe Biden has ceded the Ukraine, and warned the citizens and the government.

Biden says, 'Things could go crazy quickly' - CNN

US Warns of Grim Toll if Putin Pursues Full Invasion of Ukrainehttps://www.nytimes.com › U.S. › Politics
6 days ago — President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia could strike Ukrainian targets ... a full invasion, including the potential deaths of 25,000 to 50,000 ...

(who needs propaganda from bully Putin)  Lol)

So, like Afghanistan, it's now every man for himself.

There are obviously discussions for a negotiated settlement between Russia and Ukraine with Putin holding all the cards.

No full blown Military Invasion necessary!

Edited by trastrick