Are Supermarkets Contributing To The Waste Of Food?

A big gripe of mine is the fact that most items which could be sold loose are now packed in multiples. Not only are they multi packed but are wrapped in a material which cannot be recycled, and when you open it up there are bruises which have been placed at the bottom so you can't see it. When it comes to meat and fish the packaging is so awkward to unwrap I really do not know how people with arthritis cope.

The supermarkets tell us it is what we want but IMO it is the fact that it is easier and speedier for them to put it through the till with the bar code. When does a grape vine produce 500g of grapes? Someone has to handle and weigh them before packing them which adds to the cost, they don't do it for nowt.

M & S are the worst culprit for packaging. They have aisle after aisle full of ready meals and pre packed food.

Rant over

12 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Rockers by adding a link and no words puzzeld me,  I was thinking I had done something wrong or summat, :hihi:  lìke I mentioned during winter months our little pals out there who can't call in a supermarket for food, need little help sometimes, The winter has not been to severe this year, snow wise, up to now that is,  but those that do not hibernate risk a chance of  starving,  hence the word food chain,  I aim at parks and woodlands not urban areas due to fear of encouraging rats, our urban freinds like the fox are capable of fending for them selves due to growing confidence amongst humans which enables them to pick and choose when to look for food than being restricted to short hours in the dead of night.  

Glad to have cleared that up :bigsmile:.

The link was more to show others on here how stupid things are in this world .

We're not talking chucking something out a window on a motorway, the article indicates it was probably a more countryfied area.

Looking on google maps confirms this. (Saintfield County Down).

Inner city fox's amaze me, often used to see young fox's playing (in broad daylight) next to one of the busy on ramps to the M621 coming out of Leeds. 

Keep safe out there 8) .

Apparently there is a reason not to discard apple cores which I read about a while ago. It’s because the pips may germinate and grow into a tree. The problem is that shop bought apples are commercial species and environmentalists don’t want cross pollination to occur with our rarer local species of apple trees.

49 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

Apparently there is a reason not to discard apple cores which I read about a while ago. It’s because the pips may germinate and grow into a tree. The problem is that shop bought apples are commercial species and environmentalists don’t want cross pollination to occur with our rarer local species of apple trees.

Valid point Jim and yes that is how nature works.

Bird eats apple, seeds germinate in it's gut, comes out t'other end, seed grows eventually you end up with a tree.

The best example of which are our very own 'Fig trees' at Meadowhall.

Excellent explanation on how the Fig trees came to be growing at the side of the river Don can be found by clicking on the link below.

Enjoy 8) .

River Don Fig Forest | ianswalkonthewildside (wordpress.com)

Cheers Rockers that was an interesting read. It reminded me of an occasion many years ago when I was riding my bike through mid Wales. There was a big forest where the ground between the trees was crammed with flowering shrubs. I later found out that they were rhododendrons which had “escaped “from a private collection or stately home. Although they looked lovely they were a nightmare for the forest rangers who were trying to get rid of them. More unintentional consequences!

27 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

Cheers Rockers that was an interesting read. It reminded me of an occasion many years ago when I was riding my bike through mid Wales. There was a big forest where the ground between the trees was crammed with flowering shrubs. I later found out that they were rhododendrons which had “escaped “from a private collection or stately home. Although they looked lovely they were a nightmare for the forest rangers who were trying to get rid of them. More unintentional consequences!

I think both Radio Sheffield and Calendar have done features on the Don Fig trees - the conclusion was the same - the fruit on them taste like sh*te  - not so good  🤣 🤣 .