Smart Meter Surge Pricing.

37 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Another way to stiff the consumer or a legitimate way to save money on your energy? 

https://inews.co.uk/news/smart-meter-surge-pricing-run-washing-machine-overnight-confusion-conflicting-advice-1456601

I didnt get a smart meter fitted because i read an article where some experts predicted that the energy companies would use the data collected from your meter to know when you use it the most and would start to offer energy plans that charged more during peak periods 

I give them a meter reading every month using my online account

And i dont use a direct debit

Edited by Jack Grey

9 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

I didnt get a smart meter fitted because i read an article where some experts predicted that the energy companies would use the data collected from your meter to know when you use it the most and would start to offer energy plans that charged more during peak periods 

I give them a meter reading every month using my online account

And i dont use a direct debit

I never believe everything that I read, we have a smart meter simply because both/either of us would have to be a contortionist to read our meters.

8 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Looks sensible, the fact only 3 companies are on board suggests it would be an opt-in service anyway. Its just a more advanced version of Economy 7 which people have had for years without grumbling. 

What was suggested that instead of having a per day rate you would have a per hour rate where the rate would be fluid and could change depending on your usage

Thats why i didnt want to give them that much data

Just now, Jack Grey said:

What was suggested that instead of having a per day rate you would have a per hour rate where the rate would be fluid and could change depending on your usage

Thats why i didnt want to give them that much data

If its something that could save on bills I would genuinely be interested in it.  Cant be a bad thing surely. If EoN know that I turn the oven on at 6pm I really couldnt give two hoots.

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

If its something that could save on bills I would genuinely be interested in it.  Cant be a bad thing surely. If EoN know that I turn the oven on at 6pm I really couldnt give two hoots.

But they could charge you twice as much every time you use the oven or turn the washing machine on

Its all just a theory obviously but energy rationing will become a very real probability in the future 

Edited by Jack Grey

4 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

But they could you twice as much every time you use the oven or turn the washing machine on

Its all just a theory obviously but energy rationing will become a very real probability in the future 

Not if I do it at quiet times of the day they couldnt, I believe thats the whole point.

People on Economy 7 tarriffs will already do their washing, charge their cars and operate their storage heaters overnight, this looks to be no different. Cheap times will be overnight, use more overnight to offset the higher rates during the day.

Devil is in the detail.

As for energy rationing, this would impact industrial settings long long before it got to domestic customers. And they can turn it off at their end, no smart meter needed.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Not if I do it at quiet times of the day they couldnt, I believe thats the whole point.

People on Economy 7 tarriffs will already do their washing and operate their storage heaters overnight, this looks to be no different. Cheap times will be overnight.

Devil is in the detail.

Economy 7 storage heaters suck ar*e

I had them in my student digs and they were horrendous

Took all night to charge and they'd only last a few hours 

Had to buy an electric heater in the end

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

My sister has a smart meter and gets cheaper energy because she is/was on the 'economy 7' tariff.