Broadband Firms Urged To Support Low-Income Homes.

"Media regulator Ofcom has urged all broadband firms to support low-income homes by offering discounted packages known as "social tariffs". Ofcom has found that only 55,000 out of 4.2 million homes in receipt of Universal Credit are using discounted rates. It means households on benefits are missing out on an average yearly broadband saving of £144 each.

Many families are facing added pressure from the cost of living crisis".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60386105

31 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

when you see the figures then one might think that perhaps that OFCOM should perhaps be doing more to increase awareness amongst recipients of Universal Credit instead of trying to blame the suppliers.

I agree, but also depends on how much rigmarole you have to go through to save a relatively small amount. Might cost you more in phonecalls and stamps...

Universal Credit itself is a nightmare, and is not always inclusive of the working poor.

Edited by Anna B

5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I agree, but also depends on how much rigmarole you have to go through to save a relatively small amount. Might cost you more in phonecalls and stamps...

Universal Credit itself is a nightmare, and is not always inclusive of the working poor.

I would have said that £144 or more than £10 per month was not a tiny amount to many on Universal credit . I have no idea about verification but it is utter madness to brush this off saying it might cost more in phonecalls/postage and so what if it is not inclusive of the working poor you have to start somewhere and universal credit receipt is as good a place as any

I am guessing you are not on Universal credit and struggling to pay your bills and provide treats for you family

1 hour ago, BigAl1 said:

when you see the figures then one might think that perhaps that OFCOM should perhaps be doing more to increase awareness amongst recipients of Universal Credit instead of trying to blame the suppliers.

A valid point there.

I am not on benefits, but if I wasn't checking the news on a regular basis I probably would not be aware of this. 

I would be greatful for  £10 a month off a bill, especially at this time.

1 hour ago, Janus said:

"Media regulator Ofcom has urged all broadband firms to support low-income homes by offering discounted packages known as "social tariffs". Ofcom has found that only 55,000 out of 4.2 million homes in receipt of Universal Credit are using discounted rates. It means households on benefits are missing out on an average yearly broadband saving of £144 each.

Many families are facing added pressure from the cost of living crisis".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60386105

But what that means is that the cost will be passed onto customers who are not on Universal Credit

How about the people on Universal Credit go get a job?

There are plenty of jobs out there 

Edited by Jack Grey

33 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

But what that means is that the cost will be passed onto customers who are not on Universal Credit

40% of universal credit claimants are in work

51 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

From a different perspective, could it be that if the discount was not available to people on benefits they would not have BB? Then the providers would not gain any business at all from benefit people.